ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple leads the charge: Root access is no longer root access

(1/3) > >>

wraith808:

Not if you're on a Mac, though.  System Integrity Protection has been added into OSX Capitan, making a lot of things impossible without changing the OS and turning the protection off - and not just through a setting.  You have to go to the terminal in recovery mode, and type in a command to disable it.  Rootless, as it's called, is also retroactive.  If you modified anything in one of the protected folder, it is moved to a migration folder when you install.

Now, one might thing this is a good thing.  And on the surface, I couldn't disagree with that assessment.  But remember the walled city of the Apple ecosystem.  This is a trial of that walled city extending to the desktop.  And because the ability to turn it off is in such an obscure place... they can take it out without notice.

Jailbreaking desktops, anyone?

I'm so glad I switched away from Mac.  But I'm sure that the PC market is salivating over the lock-in and how to apply it to Windows...

eleman:
But I'm sure that the PC market is salivating over the lock-in and how to apply it to Windows...
-wraith808 (October 20, 2015, 09:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

That saliva has a name: UEFI

wraith808:
But I'm sure that the PC market is salivating over the lock-in and how to apply it to Windows...
-wraith808 (October 20, 2015, 09:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

That saliva has a name: UEFI

-eleman (October 20, 2015, 09:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

UEFI isn't exactly the same.  Imagine if you couldn't modify anything in the windows directory.  No installing unsigned assemblies to the GAC.  No installing unsigned drivers at all.

A couple of more articles (and I used TotalFinder when I was on the Mac, so I would be livid with the first link)

http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/system-integrity-protection

From the OSX El Capitan release notes:

System Integrity Protection

A new security policy that applies to every running process, including privileged code and code that runs out of the sandbox. The policy extends additional protections to components on disk and at run-time, only allowing system binaries to be modified by the system installer and software updates. Code injection and runtime attachments to system binaries are no longer permitted.

--- End quote ---

A really good overview of Rootless.

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/system-integrity-protection-adding-another-layer-to-apples-security-model/

From that article - a list of programs that Rootless disables access to that make ZERO sense.  This means it will no longer be possible to delete the applications which OS X installs, even from the command line when using root privileges.

People are complaining about the adverts when switching from Edge and other apps in Windows 10.  This is 100x worse.

Renegade:
But it's not really *your* computer. It's Apple's. ;)

John Deere has gone this route with "sales" merely being perpetual licenses with you not being permitted to repair or alter *their* machinery.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/

We Can’t Let John Deere Destroy the Very Idea of Ownership
--- End quote ---

Meanwhile, they're giving tractors to universities for $1. Does anyone remember Netscape?

All these things are related on one level or another. It's about control, and taking control away from YOU.

Paging Richard Stallman... ;) :P

kfitting:
Having recently bought an Android tablet, how is this any different than not being able to change the hosts file even when I'm the admin? Sure, I can root the device, but why? Obviously the meaning of "admin" is changing. I understand (finally, it took me awhile) having separate admin and user accounts. I don't understand crippling admin, root, etc. I don't like it... for the same reasons mentioned by Renegade:
All these things are related on one level or another. It's about control, and taking control away from YOU.
-Renegade (October 20, 2015, 11:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version