ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Patch your Flash! Version 19.0.0.226 (October 16, 2015)

<< < (4/5) > >>

f0dder:
As I said, I haven't looked at uMatrix yet - but here goes:

The combination of RefControl + Request Policy lets me control which 3rd-party domains get contacted at all, and lets me control whether the HTTP Referer [sic] header is set for the domains I allow to be contacted.

Ghostery both shows trackers as well as blocks them. Does uMatrix block trackes on the 1st-party domain, including both POST and GET based ones? And does it come with a big library of known trackers, or do you have to write your own rules for everything?

NoScript allows me to block scripts (and other active elements) on the 1st-party domain, as well, as it allows me to allow requests (images, stylesheets, ...) on 3rd-party domains without allowing scripts to be executed there. Does uMatrix handle the same usecases (and without a lot of manual rule entries)?

f0dder:
So, the thing I miss in FF - my main browser at the moment (but probably not for that much longer)-IainB (October 18, 2015, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
I wouldn't move to Edge for my main browser experience - while MS definitely have been working hard on improving security, and have done a lot of interesting and nice things both for Edge and Win10, IE + Edge are still going to be the most heavily targeted browsers for a while yet, simply because of market share. That, combined with the lack of security-focused extensions, still makes Firefox the #1 choice.

But interesting the MS is building Flash into Edge, might make it a viable alternative to Chrome for the secondary browser - though I'll obviously still be on Chrome on the work macbook :)

Tuxman:
The combination of RefControl + Request Policy lets me control which 3rd-party domains get contacted at all-f0dder (October 18, 2015, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's the whole point of uMatrix.

Does uMatrix block trackes on the 1st-party domain, including both POST and GET based ones? -f0dder (October 18, 2015, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Blocking trackers is what (good) ad blockers are for. µBlock has lists for that.

And does it come with a big library of known trackers, or do you have to write your own rules for everything?-f0dder (October 18, 2015, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

^ The lists ...

NoScript allows me to block scripts (and other active elements) on the 1st-party domain, as well, as it allows me to allow requests (images, stylesheets, ...) on 3rd-party domains without allowing scripts to be executed there. Does uMatrix handle the same usecases (and without a lot of manual rule entries)?-f0dder (October 18, 2015, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

All of those: Yep.

IainB:
with stuff like Adblock Origin, Ghostery, Certificate Patrol and (if you can suffer it) RequestPolicy + RefControl + NoScript.-f0dder (October 18, 2015, 02:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

... or just µBlock + uMatrix.
-Tuxman (October 18, 2015, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Many thanks for mentioning that. I have discovered that there is some potentially useful experiential truth there. I knew nothing about either µBlock + uMatrix until you mentioned them, whereupon I did a bit of reading up on them and similar/associated tools. There was definitely something useful in what you wrote, and a trial on a suck-it-and-see basis seemed appropriate to find out more about the potential. That is, the potential to achieve the same (or more) in blocking etc. than existing tools do, by replacing existing security/privacy tools with something that uses significantly less resources (RAM and CPU).
Currently, my existing FF configuration is grossly inefficient when operational and is fast becoming too bloated.

So, now I can blame you for my having installed µBlock Origin + uMatrix.

I don't know why (?) you settled on µBlock instead of  µBlock Origin, but I thought I'd try them both out, starting with  µBlock Origin first.
I'd be interested in any advice/thoughts you might have on this.
(This subject seems a bit off-topic. Maybe I need to put it in a new/separate topic/thread.)

Tuxman:
So, now I can blame you for my having installed µBlock Origin + uMatrix.-IainB (October 18, 2015, 06:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nooooooo!

I don't know why (?) you settled on µBlock instead of  µBlock Origin-IainB (October 18, 2015, 06:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Both are developed in parallel, both copy from each other. I guess it depends on the mood. ;)

As they use the same ad-blocking filter lists, it should not matter much anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version