ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Patch your Flash! Version 19.0.0.226 (October 16, 2015)

<< < (3/5) > >>

f0dder:
I'd recommend using Firefox as your primary browser, without any of Java, Flash or AdobePDF plugins, but with stuff like Adblock Origin, Ghostery, Certificate Patrol and (if you can suffer it) RequestPolicy + RefControl + NoScript.

Whenever you need Flash or Java, open that particular site in Chrome.

Tuxman:
with stuff like Adblock Origin, Ghostery, Certificate Patrol and (if you can suffer it) RequestPolicy + RefControl + NoScript.-f0dder (October 18, 2015, 02:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

... or just µBlock + uMatrix.

f0dder:
... or just µBlock + uMatrix.-Tuxman (October 18, 2015, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
I didn't get to looking at uMatrix yet - does it fully cover what RefControl + RequestPolicy can do?

Ghostery is almost superfluous if you have tight 3rd-party domain blocking, but there might be a few sites that do statistics reporting to their own domain... and I like the overview of trackers it gives :)

Wouldn't do without NoScript.

IainB:
I'd recommend using Firefox as your primary browser, without any of Java, Flash or AdobePDF plugins, but with stuff like Adblock Origin, Ghostery, Certificate Patrol and (if you can suffer it) RequestPolicy + RefControl + NoScript.
Whenever you need Flash or Java, open that particular site in Chrome.
-f0dder (October 18, 2015, 02:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd pretty much arrived at the same conclusion by experimentation. I use FF as the main browser and information-gathering tool (because I collect stuff using the Scrapbook extension and the Zotero utility), and, though I used to use Google Chrome Canary for Flash/Java web pages it had become just fat bloated software, so, when I switched to Win10 I started using MS Edge and that seems to work much more efficiently, so I tend to stick with that.

My kids use a lot of Flash-based games that I have downloaded over time, so I use IrfanView to play those.

So, the thing I miss in FF - my main browser at the moment (but probably not for that much longer) - is easy Flash and YouTube viewing - e.g., pages in the DCF with Flash and YouTube content do not display properly and many discussion threads that used to paginate quite quickly became sluggish (this seems to have been seriously aggravated in the recently-implemented DCF platform).

Tuxman:
I didn't get to looking at uMatrix yet - does it fully cover what RefControl + RequestPolicy can do?-f0dder (October 18, 2015, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

It does different things with the same result. :D

Wouldn't do without NoScript.-f0dder (October 18, 2015, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

What does NoScript do for you that uMatrix doesn't, except eat more RAM?

About Ghostery: I, personally, prefer my trackers blocked. I don't want to see them, I want them to just be away. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version