ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ad Industry Attacks Firefox

<< < (7/7)

IainB:
^^ Yes, "if they actually did that" it could be great, however, judging by past performance I'd be non too sanguine. I mean, how many times do they have to be allowed to defecate in one's browser before one says "Hang on a minute!"?
For all we know, that BS post could be Mozilla softening us up with a polite advance warning that they are about to defecate all over us Big Time, and by the way there's nothing we can do about it.

As I'm typing this I look at the sodding compulsory Read Later (Pocket) dropdown button which is taking up useful space in the URL bar. I've subscribed to RIL/Pocket for years, but most of the time it's a disabled overhead because I don't need the thing ON all the time. Now I can't switch this compulsory thing OFF.

I know, I know. I should just shut up and accept it, because Mozilla knows best what is for the greater good, or something. They love me - I know that because Danielle Dixon-Fire tells me they love me, because I am central to their being, or something - I'm one of their cherished suckers Users.
Yeah, right.

f0dder:
As I'm typing this I look at the sodding compulsory Read Later (Pocket) dropdown button which is taking up useful space in the URL bar. I've subscribed to RIL/Pocket for years, but most of the time it's a disabled overhead because I don't need the thing ON all the time. Now I can't switch this compulsory thing OFF.-IainB (October 10, 2015, 08:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
Right-click, "Remove from toolbar", done.

I do wish that Mozilla would stop pushing stuff like that and the chat thingy on us, though. Built-in PDF reader and "Reader View"? Sure, pretty useful. 3rd-party services? Offer via (optional) addons.

IainB:
As I'm typing this I look at the sodding compulsory Read Later (Pocket) dropdown button which is taking up useful space in the URL bar. I've subscribed to RIL/Pocket for years, but most of the time it's a disabled overhead because I don't need the thing ON all the time. Now I can't switch this compulsory thing OFF.-IainB (October 10, 2015, 08:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
Right-click, "Remove from toolbar", done.
I do wish that Mozilla would stop pushing stuff like that and the chat thingy on us, though. Built-in PDF reader and "Reader View"? Sure, pretty useful. 3rd-party services? Offer via (optional) addons.
-f0dder (October 13, 2015, 07:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
You say "Right-click, "Remove from toolbar", done.", but no, I already tried that. The menu item Remove from toolbar is greyed-out, and if you switch to "Cusomise, it's still greyed-out. I also tried a hack to disable it in about:config, but it doesn't seem to have worked. That sucker is persistent as all heck, and made deliberately so in the code, by Mozilla.
Oooh! That's odd! I wonder what we might be able to infer from that?    :tellme:

f0dder:
That sucker is persistent as all heck, and made deliberately so in the code, by Mozilla.-IainB (October 13, 2015, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
Got a source code reference that backs up this claim? :)

Oooh! That's odd! I wonder what we might be able to infer from that?    :tellme:-IainB (October 13, 2015, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
That something is weird with your browser? Works fine here, both on Windows and OSX.

EDIT: Since I needed to test stuff in IE9 and had to whip up a clean Modern.IE VM for that, I installed a fully fresh and add-on free Firefox just for the heck of it  - and both Pocket and Hello could be removed from the toolbar by right-clicking. Of course the stuff is still installed, which I'd prefer it not to be, but it's gone from the toolbar.

J-Mac:
Try  http://www.howtogeek.com/228863/how-to-remove-firefox-hello-and-pocket-from-firefox/ for instructions.

Also there is an add-on called "Disable Hello, Pocket & Reader+" that I've seen people post works well.  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/disable-hello-pocket-reader/?src=ss

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version