ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win 10 Can't Tell One Processor From Another!

(1/2) > >>

CleverCat:
I've been having trouble installing latest update:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 (KB3093266) - Error 0x8e5e03fa

Then I realised that My system info is incorrect!  It's listed as 32bit X64 based Processor....  tellme:

I have a 32bit X86 Processor so had to manually download the correct update and it worked!

Anyone else have this problem?

CC  :D

eleman:
I have a 32bit X86 Processor...
-CleverCat (October 10, 2015, 02:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

You mean you have a win10 box with a pentium 4 or an atom?

I guess you really are a patient fella.

CleverCat:
Yep Intel Pentium 4 - Dual Core. Can't afford to upgrade yet on my Pension....

It's fast enough!

I'm not patient lol or a 'fella'  ;D

Shades:
As far as I know the Pentium 4 processor only comes as single core. I still use one of those 3GHz Hyper Threading models in a backup server (using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Server edition) and it generates backup archives from data and files it collects at regular intervals throughout my network of Linux and Windows PC's. I wouldn't use it with any of the modern versions of Windows anymore, though. However, it is adequate in my setup, because I only access the machine sporadically through its web-interface.

Now I still have 2x Core2 processors as well. And these are in desktops that had their RAM maxed out years ago. As a result these machines work well with Windows 7, Windows 8.0/8.1 and even Windows 2012 Server. Much better than you would expect anyway. Not much patience needed with any of those processors or Windows versions. For more giggles I even installed Windows 10 (one of the earliest builds) in a VM and ran that on one of those Dual Core machines. To my surprise that went better than I expected as well, so I think it is rather safe to assume that Windows 10 installed on this particular bare metal wouldn't be a problem either. 

Now I must add that all of these experiences come from desktop PC's with the Intel Core2 Duo E8200 processor (2676 MHz a.k.a. Wolfdale), which was a very good model in it's day. And I know that performance between Core2 Duo processors varied quite a lot depending on the model in desktops, but even more so for models in laptops.

So I hope for CleverCat that she is not cursed with one of those...

4wd:
As far as I know the Pentium 4 processor only comes as single core.

Now I must add that all of these experiences come from desktop PC's with the Intel Core2 Duo E8200 processor (2676 MHz a.k.a. Wolfdale), which was a very good model in it's day. And I know that performance between Core2 Duo processors varied quite a lot depending on the model in desktops, but even more so for models in laptops.

So I hope for CleverCat that she is not cursed with one of those...-Shades (October 10, 2015, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's a ECS G31T-M7 socket 775 motherboard, so it's using a Pentium E21xx Dual Core.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version