ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

macro to edit a .txt file?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ath:
Well, I didn't say sed was easy ;D

You'd get the desired result by using this command-line:

--- Code: Text ---sed -r -e 's/[0-9"]//g' input-file >output-fileOr optionally add the -i parameter and remove the '>output-file' part to do a destructive, in-place, replacement in multiple input-files but not keeping the original file(s).

bit:
Well, I didn't say sed was easy ;D

You'd get the desired result by using this command-line:

--- Code: Text ---sed -r -e 's/[0-9"]//g' input-file >output-fileOr optionally add the -i parameter and remove the '>output-file' part to do a destructive, in-place, replacement in multiple input-files but not keeping the original file(s).
-Ath (September 29, 2015, 10:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
I clicked on 'Select', and copy & paste highlighted string into top window of SedTester, then pasted sample text in which each line is consecutively numbered into first large window.
Second large window says:
sed: -e expression #1, char 26: Unterminated 's' command
Error 1

I tried individually checking each check box, but no success yet.
Tnx. Over to you?

Ath:
I was referring to a Linux or DOS (with sed added) command-line, not to SedTester.

In SedTester you'd have to only paste the quoted part in the SED expression field: s/[0-9"]//g
and check the -r checkbox
Like this (I pasted the Input text from AbteriX' post):

bit:
I was referring to a Linux or DOS (with sed added) command-line, not to SedTester.

In SedTester you'd have to only paste the quoted part in the SED expression field: s/[0-9"]//g
and check the -r checkbox
Like this (I pasted the Input text from AbteriX' post):

[ Invalid Attachment ]
-Ath (September 30, 2015, 01:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Success! Wow, that's powerful!
PS - I see you also check-boxed 'Autocheck'; and when I did that, it worked.  :Thmbsup:
PS - For some text, the unwanted numbers look like this:
1:1: (plus desired text)
1:2:
1:3:

With s/[0-9"]//g only, it leaves this:
 : : (plus desired text)
 : :
 : :

If I add : to the script, like this: s/[0-9":]//g
it also removes all the colons [:]

Some text sources list unwanted numbers in [square brackets], and although SedTester still removes the numbers, the square brackets cannot be removed with SedTester.
However, a simple text 'search & replace' for the brackets or colons easily removes them all.

PS - Is there a way to increase the text body size limit to, say, 50 pages of text?
I froze up SedTester with a 13 page text file size.

4wd:
Some text sources list unwanted numbers in [square brackets], and although SedTester still removes the numbers, the square brackets cannot be removed with SedTester.-bit (September 30, 2015, 01:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

s/[][0-9\":]//g

Place the closing square bracket immediately after the opening square bracket, it'll be read as a character, and so will the following opening square bracket.

You also need to escape the quote (\") to have them removed.

You could also remove double spaces created by character removal (see last two lines in example) by using a SED Script:

s/[][0-9\":]//g
s/(  )/ /g

But that may screw up any space formatted tables.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version