ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is it reasonable to *require* phone nr. when purchasing software?

<< < (4/6) > >>

MilesAhead:
Another one for your list

* Give their Customer Support phone number to see if you get an email about being a wise guy.

tomos:
Belated update to my attempted purchase that sparked the thread:

the software developer emailed me an invoice, and I paid via paypal.

I was a little embarrassed about having kicked up a fuss, he was so nice about it.
Apparently it is quite common these days, requesting a phone number...

wraith808:
Belated update to my attempted purchase that sparked the thread:

the software developer emailed me an invoice, and I paid via paypal.

I was a little embarrassed about having kicked up a fuss, he was so nice about it.
Apparently it is quite common these days, requesting a phone number...
-tomos (September 30, 2015, 07:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

And if you look at it from a certain angle- you supplied your phone number in any case.  Paypal requires it too.  ;D

Stoic Joker:
Apparently it is quite common these days, requesting a phone number...-tomos (September 30, 2015, 07:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just because it is - or is perceived as being - a "common" practice, doesn't make it a good idea. It's quite common for brick-N-mortar clerks to ask for phone/Email even if you're paying cash. And they have an entire litany of bullshit excuses for why they "Need" this information...which they actually don't. Because some time back some idiot marketing scumbag coined the term "Constant Contact" for the purpose of (justifying spam) putting a positive spin on the practice of bugging the shit out of people.

wraith808:
Apparently it is quite common these days, requesting a phone number...-tomos (September 30, 2015, 07:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just because it is - or is perceived as being - a "common" practice, doesn't make it a good idea. It's quite common for brick-N-mortar clerks to ask for phone/Email even if you're paying cash. And they have an entire litany of bullshit excuses for why they "Need" this information...which they actually don't. Because some time back some idiot marketing scumbag coined the term "Constant Contact" for the purpose of (justifying spam) putting a positive spin on the practice of bugging the shit out of people.
-Stoic Joker (September 30, 2015, 11:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Brick and Mortar paying cash- I never give them anything I don't *want* to.  Online using a credit card though... you're trying to ice skate uphill.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version