ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is it reasonable to *require* phone nr. when purchasing software?

<< < (2/6) > >>

wraith808:
I have a throw away google voice number for this.  Many (Most?) Payment processors just require numbers.-wraith808 (September 22, 2015, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

google voice only works for incoming calls with a US number AFAIK --  will have a look tomorrow.
-tomos (September 22, 2015, 05:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is incorrect.  I have it, and use it for outgoing calls all the time.  As to whether it's US only, I'm not sure.

4wd:
http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/ - generate a number

Otherwise, I give them the number of a UK mobile that we use while over there, it's turned off while in Australia and the number remains active while there's credit on the account.

I've also just used a free activated SIM, with no credit on it (prepaid), because they'll still receive SMS' for any verification and I just remove it from the phone afterwards.

Stoic Joker:
Sure, no problem. Here's my phone number: (111) 222-3333

Bet me I'm lying... :D

Hay, maybe I'm a bad person ... But my automatic reflex to an overly invasive line of questioning, is to start probing that system back.

wraith808:
One thing about fake numbers- sometimes they have to verify the purchase because of the credit card company.  It can get rejected because of invalid phone number, then that payment processor will not take that card again.  Ask me how I know...

mwb1100:
Sure, no problem. Here's my phone number: (111) 222-3333
-Stoic Joker (September 22, 2015, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

(301) 555-1313 or (202) 456-1414 for me.

And if (not) necessary, my "address" is either:

- 1313 Mockingbird Lane, or

- 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version