ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Ethics in Technology

<< < (5/12) > >>

tomos:
There are positive market forces that provide incentives for auto manufacturers to create cleaner engines. There are also unrealistic regulations that go past the point of diminishing returns, which creates a burden for the manufacturers and drives up prices for consumers. Somewhere in that broad spectrum there are balances for different needs.-Renegade (September 29, 2015, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

From what I've heard on the radio here, this was broadly speaking about smaller cars being both affordable, and able to pass the tests, because smaller diesel cars are not so efficient nor as clean as bigger ones. While the logical step would have been to simply not make smaller diesel engines, greed kicked in -- greed for market share that otherwise would not have existed in the regulated world.
Now, VW are getting a land -- that's balance too.

You presume everything would work out fine -- do I presume that everything needs to be regulated? Maybe. Tbh, I suspect neither one of us is correct in our assumptions, but we may never know...

TaoPhoenix:
I come from "Old Accounting" too and I once walked off a job from an agency that was just so wrong on any level I couldn't take it. Thankfully my family is well off enough to pick me up a couple of times!

And sometimes if that happens too many times to you, that wrecks your entire mental health. Mine got wrecked by something else, but I took Ethics classes in biz school and they don't include things Like Volks-w fscking mech engineering things to fsck the clean air act.

So we're left with a Net culture where you hear about scary things from posts on ... DonationCoder.com

Just ... wow.

"Your car maker is trying to play you. And you learned about it ... on DC."

0_o

MilesAhead:
From what I've heard on the radio here, this was broadly speaking about smaller cars being both affordable, and able to pass the tests, because smaller diesel cars are not so efficient nor as clean as bigger ones
-tomos (September 29, 2015, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

There is also noise pollution.  These diesel autos generally have very poor acceleration from a standing start, such as a stop light.  To counteract that the automatic transmission is set to wind out in first gear to get the heap moving.  Listening to that ruins my day.

wraith808:
As my grandfather used to say: Most people are all for doing what's right - as long as it doesn't cost or inconvenience them too much. 
-40hz (September 29, 2015, 02:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

And it doesn't bother them... until they get caught.

IainB:
Good rule of thumb here:
"The rule of thumb is that, if a business process can not stand the hard light of scrutiny, then there is probably something unethical about it". - Sir Adrian Cadbury (Chairman of the then Quaker family-owned Cadbury's) in his prize-winning article on Business Ethics, for Harvard Business Review, circa 1984.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version