ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro 4.7.0.0[free]

<< < (3/3)

Shades:
The pro version likely checks where files should be located for optimum performance during the defrag, while the free version just defrags.

Isn't there more info about the feature-set that applied by default between these two versions?

MilesAhead:
The pro version likely checks where files should be located for optimum performance during the defrag, while the free version just defrags.

Isn't there more info about the feature-set that applied by default between these two versions?

-Shades (September 30, 2015, 08:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

The default in Pro is "simple defrag."  The only difference that stands out in the scanning phase is Pro gives a percentage fragmented with 2 decimal places.  The Free just gives an integer.  And if it is less than 1% it just says 0% fragmented.  The other thing with the Pro when I do a defrag I don't sense the difference like I can with the Free.  It gives this detailed report on simple defrag but it feels exactly the same as before I defragged the drive.  Kind of weird.  I hope it is not a placebo.  :)

MilesAhead:
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/disk-defrag-pro-4-6-0/

17 hours and change left as of this posting.

MilesAhead:
I found the reason for the speed difference of the Pro and Free versions.  The Free had VSS compatible mode disabled.  The Pro had it enabled.  When disabled the Pro analysis scan took less than 2 minutes.  The total defrag elapsed time was 5 minutes.

I have enabled VSS compatible mode in case defragging without it was messing up my Restore Points.
Edit:  In the notes it says VSS compatible tries to minimize the file movement to avoid messing up restore points etc..  So me thinks this is why I don't notice much of a speed up of disk i/o.  On the Free version I had this disabled so the optimization was evidently better.  If you do not use Restore Points then disabling this feature would yield better results in a shorter time.

I tried a restore point and it worked.  So the jury is still out.  If they work less than half the time I may just disable them and rely on Macrium Reflect incremental backup to safeguard my system.

MilesAhead:
http://giveaway.downloadcrew.com/

2 hours 47 min left as of post modification date/time.

Note that if you have a giveaway version of 4.6.0.0 installed you may be able to update.  I installed 4.7.0.0 and it picked up that I was registered and told me how many days left on the one year registration.  It probably allows the update since it is only a bug fix release.  No new features.

I only use the simple defrag method.  The only thing Pro has that the free doesn't that I care about is the fragmentation analysis.  It shows the fragmentation in n.nn format whereas the free only shows the percent fragmented as an integer.  If your disk is .50% fragmented the free version reports 0% fragmented.  Using Auslogics defrag for a long time I seem to notice a slight performance difference from 1 to 3 percent or so.  If you install and delete a lot of stuff it can zoom to over 5% quickly.  Then things slow quite a bit.

But especially with RollbackRX I like to know just how fragmented the disk is since I have to uninstall before defragging to avoid scrambling the Rollback snapshots.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version