ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AVG Antivirus Plans to Collect & Sell Your Personal Data to Advertisers?

<< < (4/7) > >>

wraith808:
Because Ultratastic AV or not, it always comes down to a dialog box that says Ok/Cancel ... And you either choose wisely at that point, or you don't.
-Stoic Joker (September 22, 2015, 06:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

This x1000.  Winpatrol and Malwarebytes have saved my family more times than any AV.  Thankfully, I have lifetime to both.

Innuendo:
Not needed to protect against the stuff regular users get hit with.

The really nasty stuff will never be discovered by anti-malware, but then again, those shouldn't be a worry to you unless you're into international terrorism, or are setting up the next Silk Road :)-f0dder (September 22, 2015, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

I understand what you are saying, but MSE doesn't stop *anything*. I've watched people get infected by a drive-by ad banner while 'protected' by MSE. Dialog boxes popping up willy-nilly on the screen auto-installing this or that through Java, Flash, and Silverlight vulnerabilities. All the while, that happy little green MSE icon stays green till the bitter end.

This particular person got hit with a prompt to update their Adobe Flash & it looked identical to the real dialog box prompt Adobe puts up on the screen. They just  hit "OK" to upgrade before I could say, "Hey, wait a second...".

For a very tech-savvy person, MSE may be fine...or running no AV at all, but 'mom'-level technical literacy needs something a lot more proactive in keeping baddies (any baddies, Microsoft!) out.

wraith808:
I understand what you are saying, but MSE doesn't stop *anything*. I've watched people get infected by a drive-by ad banner while 'protected' by MSE. Dialog boxes popping up willy-nilly on the screen auto-installing this or that through Java, Flash, and Silverlight vulnerabilities. All the while, that happy little green MSE icon stays green till the bitter end.
-Innuendo (September 23, 2015, 07:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

In your experience.  In mine?  I've had it protect against things in downloads, things on pages, and just things in general.  And the icon doesn't change in my experience- it pops up.  The icon is based on whether you're protected.

Innuendo:
In your experience.  In mine?  I've had it protect against things in downloads, things on pages, and just things in general.  And the icon doesn't change in my experience- it pops up.  The icon is based on whether you're protected.-wraith808 (September 23, 2015, 11:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

In my experience and in the experience of many other people I know who have had to work on many computers that are 'protected' with MSE that has the green icon, no pop ups, and even doing a full scan on the PC tells you that your computer is safe, all the while malware is causing popup ads and other evilness to prosper on the computer.

Independent AV tests rarely have MSE score better than 60% in tests. Microsoft's reply? It's baseline protection. It's not meant to be comprehensive or catch everything. They probably don't want security software devs to band against them for a lawsuit in the EU.

MSE is the consumer version of Microsoft Forefront Security, which BTW, is a discontinued product. We're saddled with it at work & at least once every couple weeks the desktop IT team has to spring into action to go cleanse a virus off someone's workstation. I rarely have extremely strong opinions about something preferring to each person to have their own tastes, but MSE is garbage and I'll defend my position to the bitter end.

wraith808:
In your experience.  In mine?  I've had it protect against things in downloads, things on pages, and just things in general.  And the icon doesn't change in my experience- it pops up.  The icon is based on whether you're protected.-wraith808 (September 23, 2015, 11:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

In my experience and in the experience of many other people I know who have had to work on many computers that are 'protected' with MSE that has the green icon, no pop ups, and even doing a full scan on the PC tells you that your computer is safe, all the while malware is causing popup ads and other evilness to prosper on the computer.

Independent AV tests rarely have MSE score better than 60% in tests. Microsoft's reply? It's baseline protection. It's not meant to be comprehensive or catch everything. They probably don't want security software devs to band against them for a lawsuit in the EU.

MSE is the consumer version of Microsoft Forefront Security, which BTW, is a discontinued product. We're saddled with it at work & at least once every couple weeks the desktop IT team has to spring into action to go cleanse a virus off someone's workstation. I rarely have extremely strong opinions about something preferring to each person to have their own tastes, but MSE is garbage and I'll defend my position to the bitter end.

-Innuendo (September 23, 2015, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

So we have different experiences.  That's cool.  But I have it installed along with winpatrol and malwarebytes on 9 computers.  That combination along with an aware user has stopped everything that has tried to infect.  With an unaware user, not so much.  So each person to their own experiences and preferences.  You can argue the point, but I won't argue along with you on this.  :-\

Onward!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version