ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Patch your Flash! Version 19.0.0.226 (October 16, 2015)

<< < (5/5)

f0dder:
The combination of RefControl + Request Policy lets me control which 3rd-party domains get contacted at all-f0dder (October 18, 2015, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's the whole point of uMatrix.-Tuxman (October 18, 2015, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
That much I had already gathered, and I've considered looking into uMatrix as a replacement for RequestPolicy. Anyway, you skipped the second part of that line of text - "and lets me control whether the HTTP Referer [sic] header is set for the domains I allow to be contacted.".

I guess I'll have to check out uMatrix, although I'm doubtful it really does handle all the above-mentioned stuff - you probably misunderstood my questions.

f0dder:
I don't know why (?) you settled on µBlock instead of  µBlock Origin, but I thought I'd try them both out, starting with  µBlock Origin first.
I'd be interested in any advice/thoughts you might have on this.
(This subject seems a bit off-topic. Maybe I need to put it in a new/separate topic/thread.)-IainB (October 18, 2015, 06:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm sticking with uBlock Origin - here's why.

Tuxman:
IIRC the reason is not entirely true, but YMMV.

f0dder:
Right, I've dropped RequestPolicy - uMatrix beats it in every possible way, from performance to advanced features to ease-of-use. All of those were expected, perahsp except ease-of-use... it's really great. I modified the defaults from always allowing css/image references to only allowing them first-party, which means a little more work, but also more safe blocking. The matrix view that quickly lets you identify & check off the stuff you need works extremely well.

It doesn't replace RefPolicy, though, since it only lets you spoof the HTTP REFERER, it doesn't offer the block/allow that RefPolicy does. And I'm still keeping Ghostery and uBlock since uBlock can pretty up visual elements and is more fine-grained than uMatrix (DOM regexes rather than non-regex host-based).

Some day I'll have to take a more indepth look at Ghostery to evaluate whether it adds a lot when I have extensive host blocking - but it works differently than uBlock/uMatrix since it can fiddle with JavaScript to neutralize trackers even on first-party sites where you want to run the non-tracking scripts.

IainB:
^^ That's rather interesting. Thanks for mentioning it @f0dder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version