ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

14 year-old boy arrested for creating a digital clock

<< < (4/6) > >>

40hz:
If that's what Ronnie truly believed, why wasn't he prosecuted or impeached for Iran-Contra when he knowingly and blatantly broke the law? Or for that other time when...oh wait! That's right. Silly me. That's altogether different. He's was President when he did that.  ;D ;)

And now that I suddenly realized this is in the basement, I'll bow out of the conversation. Because I still don't do basement. Later! :P

tomos:
And now that I suddenly realized this is in the basement, I'll bow out of the conversation. Because I still don't do basement. Later! :P
-40hz (September 18, 2015, 04:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

now we know you read it though  ;) 8) :D

40hz:
^Only because in this instance I was curious as to why this tread got moved here so quickly to begin with. And after reading through it all again, I can't really see why for any reason other than a preemptive stirke to avoid potential hurt feelings.. Which is a bit of an evolution from how this worked in the past. Previously it seemed that there needed to be an actual escalating situation that was blatantly obvious to everyone before a thread got thrown down the basement stairs. Usually that happened when tempers ran high and civility went out the window. This time it seems more like a case of "we don't talk about things like this around here." So to me it's an obvious case of intervention rather than remediation.

But it's not my website, and "So it goes." You play by the rules of the house or you go play elsewhere. :)

(And if I did break my own rule just now, that's cool too. Sometimes a situation requires some flex in the interests of clarity. Even 40hz has learned a thing or two over the last year. So there!!  ;D  :P )

tomos:
^ hmm, I dont think there are 'rules' about this kind of thing - i.e. I wouldnt be so quick to put it in a box and tie a ribbon round it...
Mouser has made that clear elsewhere:

the decision of whether a post should be moved to the basement is made by me often based on a quick and imperfect gut feeling -- and you guys need to help me figure out when i move something that i shouldn't have, so i can move it back.

If I jump the gun and move something you think there should/could be a useful wider discussion about, please do let me know -- sometimes i jump the gun -- perhaps most of the time(?).
-mouser (September 18, 2015, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Stoic Joker:
The police tell local news outlets that while they acknowledge that Mohamed didn't try to perpetrate a bomb hoax, they were also unsatisfied with his explanation.

"He would simply only tell us that it was a clock," police spokesman James McLellan says. "He didn't offer an explanation as to what it was for, why he created this device, why he brought it to school."
--- End quote ---

WTF?

Perhaps I can help:

Clock : a device other than a watch for indicating or measuring time commonly by means of hands moving on a dial; broadly : any periodic system by which time is measured-wraith808 (September 17, 2015, 03:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh FFS ... Kids are kids. (To me) the only thing here that would look suspicious as hell is if the kid actually did have a plausible cover story/response to that line of questioning. The fact that the kid just said "it's a clock" and switched to stunned silence, says to me that - as is appropriate for his age - he had no idea how to process how fast/far this was being blown out of proportion.

Fuck man... Back in the 70's I had a teacher ask me to bring in (e.g. to high school) a custom made 10" bladed sub-hilted fighting knife. Because he had an interest in fine cutlery, and he wanted to see a sample of my work. But if that were to happen today...I guess we'd have both ended up in freaking jail. Because it's become a crime for a teacher to take an actual interest in their students.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version