ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Chocolatey...opinions? portable?

<< < (4/10) > >>

wraith808:
AUM in normal techical ling = Repo(sitory) for clarity of terminology.  And I wouldn't really view Windows Update as a repo, as you don't install from it- only update.  Microsoft had said to be developing a repo manager for Windows 10, but it is sadly not present.

By the same token, I'd not consider nuget to be in the same conversation, as it says in it's definition on nuget.org

NuGet is the package manager for the Microsoft development platform including .NET.

--- End quote ---

with development being the key word.  I'd put it in the same category as PsGet, as they're for very specific uses.

wraith808:
Zero Install looks quite nice.  The decentralized nature is intriguing, and it actually looks like something that might fit ewemoa's reqs.

UPDATE: Scratch that part about the reqs.  It requires .NET for the windows version.

UPDATE2: You might be able to build it from sources... it' uses OCAML, so I'm not sure why the windows version requires .NET.

Tuxman:
.net is a part of Windows anyway, right?

wraith808:
.net is a part of Windows anyway, right?
-Tuxman (September 18, 2015, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is.  But don't know what version it requires.  You'll need to have that particular version of .NET.  And all installations might not have it.  Usually .NET dependent programs aren't said to be 'truly portable', even though for all intents and purposes they might be.

wraith808:
More info: Gow is a shell, not a package manager.  It's an alternative for windows to Cygwin.  But it was a welcome find for other reasons, even so.  I'd stopped using Cygwin because it was so huge.  Gow is apparently small.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version