ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Chocolatey...opinions? portable?

<< < (2/10) > >>

wraith808:
I use it all the time.  What do you mean by 'portably'?
-wraith808 (September 13, 2015, 09:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the comments.

I'd rather not "install" on a system but rather be able to have it and the associated apps be "portable" in the sense of "portable apps" so for example transportable on usb media.

AFAICT, the typical set up requires a specific environment variable be set on the system (got the feeling that just via a .bat file was insufficient).

Looking at some of the supported functionality I guess even if Chocolatey itself could be made portable, quite a few of the apps would not be (at least some aren't packaged in a "portable" way).
-ewemoa (September 13, 2015, 05:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is correct.  There are those that have .portable installs, some that have .install installs, and those that have nothing to differentiate.  Some use silent scripts, and others do something as simple as a wget to get the installer, then run it. (screenshot captor has a package, and it does exactly that).  It really depends on the packager, and the facility of the application/installer. 

What you might be able to do is create a portable repository that the chocolatey executable points to in order to install.  But I haven't tried that.

For more information, you can look at https://github.com/chocolatey/choco/wiki/ChocolateyFAQs#what-distinction-does-chocolatey-make-between-an-installable-and-a-portable-application and the FAQ in general has a lot of questions similar to yours.

ewemoa:
Thanks for the idea and FAQ pointer.

I imagine existing packages are likely to provide hints too :)

ewemoa:
Creating the installation script often doesn't seem too bad, but appropriate upgrading and uninstalling seems like it can be a lot more work.

Have modified / created some packages to work (err, install anyway) with a number of "portable" versions of apps with some success and also configured the local Chocolatey to use a local folder of appropriate .nupkg files as a source.

I guess this might be one way to start picking up some PowerShell :)

On a side note, came across BoxStarter and Puppet -- anyone tried these out?

ewemoa:
As a possible alternative to Chocolatey, now trying scoop -- a bit bumpy, but this seems a better fit for the sorts of things I'm likely to use.

Other candidates of interest were just-install and Npackd, but haven't tried them yet.

Tuxman:
Any URL?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version