ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Pale Moon and Firefox - The Honeymoon Period is Over

<< < (2/7) > >>

wraith808:
then made *Mozilla* turn add-ons into Chrome Compatible things.
-TaoPhoenix (September 12, 2015, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Where is it that they *made* them do anything?  I thought that the Mozilla foundation *decided* to do it and were not pressured into it by someone else?

mwb1100:
Furthermore, what good is a Firefox clone that doesn't have active development of extensions to increase its functionality?
-Innuendo (September 12, 2015, 10:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

As long as Greasemonkey works, I'm good. And if they do something to break Greasemonkey, I'll just stick with the last version that does work until... maybe forever.

tomos:
The Opera and Vivaldi developers just don't get it ...
-Innuendo (September 12, 2015, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

you say this at the end of a long post - so I'm not really sure what you're referring to with 'it' (?)
TIA

Innuendo:
you say this at the end of a long post - so I'm not really sure what you're referring to with 'it' (?)-tomos (September 13, 2015, 03:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't want to dilute the discussion of the Pale Moon/Firefox transition with talk of other browsers, but Opera (the original Opera) did not work successfully as a browser. It was based on their proprietary browser engine, Presto, and when users clamored for extensions to functionality, they were shot down. And down also went their popularity and, some would say, their usefulness.

So, there was much grumbling among the Opera devs regarding their browser was dying. The radical decision was made to move Opera to the WebKit browsing engine. Oh, yay. Another Chrome-like browsing experience...except without the Chrome-like extensions. Let's make a browser like Chrome & take everything that users love about Chrome...and not use those parts.

Vivaldi is written by the Opera devs who did not agree with moving to the WebKit browsing engine. However, they must have all flunked History class, because they are ignoring the age-old wisdom that those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it. Take the paragraph above I wrote about Opera and Presto, but substitute Vivaldi for Opera and Blink for Presto, and boom! You're accurately predicting the future even better than Nostradamus did. ;)

Yes, there's a huge demographic of people who browse the internet who do not care if their browser doesn't offer any extensions or do not want their browser to use extensions. They are called IE users.

NigelH:
I'll "dilute" the thread somewhat further.
Innuendo speak for yourself and a couple of million others (not that quantity counts for much - a number of fast food chains are evidence of that). As far as I'm concerned, its the very same demographic that you alluded to.

Opera 12.17 is still my main browser and I know there are still many other users - even of earlier versions like 12.14.
Its performance (Javascript aside) and fantastic usability (ESPECIALLY) make me cringe big time when I use other browsers.
I switch out of it only when I run into the occasional Presto rendering problem.
Yeah, problems happen but I have rendering (or other) problems with current releases of both Chrome and Firefox browser
implementations so nothing new there.

The team who developed Opera where IMO a little more talented than most of the devs who now work on the crud known as Chrome and Firefox (especially of late wrt Firefox).

Palemoon and Slimjet remains my other alternatives - but only when I have no alternative.

So, can the devs at Vivaldi pull it off?
I hope so, otherwise for me all hope is lost - especially with Palemoons somewhat uncertain future.
Opera failed, not in and of itself, but because of senior management failure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version