ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Tips

(1/6) > >>

wraith808:
I figured I'd start a general thread about Windows 10 tips that people come across, so we can have them all in one place.

One thing that I've gone through on both of my machines that have it is that I can't seem to figure out how to set the stupid network to private the first time.  It has to be there... but for some reason, I just overlook it!  And it's a pain to change it normally.  But I found out that the type of the network can changed in the registry:

In regedit, under the branch HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\

Change the key Category.  It's a DWORD value that translates as follows:

0 = Public
1 = Private

Anyone else have any interesting information to share?

Deozaan:
One thing that I've gone through on both of my machines that have it is that I can't seem to figure out how to set the stupid network to private the first time.  It has to be there... but for some reason, I just overlook it!  And it's a pain to change it normally.-wraith808 (September 10, 2015, 07:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I recently encountered this same issue when what I'm sure was a private network somehow got changed to public (maybe when I messed with my privacy settings...).

Anyway, I found this solution, which is much easier than editing the registry:

Basically, it seems you need to enable the option to "find PCs and devices on your network" in your homegroup to make it private. If you have that option disabled, it's considered a public network.

(archived here)

wraith808:
I guess our definitions of easy are different.  That gif annoyed me, especially because I noticed it after it started.  And there were no text instructions on the page.  Editing the registry is much more straightforward and easy to me. :)

My next one is to run the command prompt, powershell, and well... anything as administrator from a shortcut, instead of having to right click the shortcut and select run as administrator.

Right click on the desktop, and select New -> Shortcut.  Browse to the application, and finish creating the shortcut as normal.  Then right-click the shortcut, select properties, and click Advanced on the Shortcut tab (which should be the one that comes up).  Click run as administrator, and you're done!  Every time you run that shortcut, it will be as administrator.

That still doesn't give you the ability to run powershell scripts, however- for that you have to use Set-ExecutionPolicy.

For that one, from an admin powershell prompt, run Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted.  You can also use Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass.  You can also set these on the current user only by using -CurrentUser.

Stoic Joker:
My next one is to run the command prompt, powershell, and well... anything as administrator from a shortcut, instead of having to right click the shortcut and select run as administrator.-wraith808 (September 11, 2015, 01:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Either Win+X then A for admin command prompt or go to:
C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools

Right click the Command Prompt shortcut and select properties, hit the Advanced button, and check Run as Administrator.

That way it will always launch administrative when run from the start menu or taskbar pinned shortcut.

Shades:
Are you obligated to use 'HomeGroup' in Windows 10?

I would sure hope not, the 15% drop in network speed is never worth the "ease" Microsoft envisioned when creating a LAN network in your home (or small office)!   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version