ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

TSA's master keys leaked, 3D printed

(1/3) > >>

Deozaan:
The TSA is learning a basic lesson of physical security in the age of 3-D printing: If you have sensitive keys—say, a set of master keys that can open locks you’ve asked millions of Americans to use—don’t post pictures of them on the Internet.

A group of lock-picking and security enthusiasts drove that lesson home Wednesday by publishing a set of CAD files to Github that anyone can use to 3-D print a precisely measured set of the TSA’s master keys for its “approved” locks—the ones the agency can open with its own keys during airport inspections. Within hours, at least one 3-D printer owner had already downloaded the files, printed one of the master keys, and published a video proving that it opened his TSA-approved luggage lock.-http://www.wired.com/2015/09/lockpickers-3-d-print-tsa-luggage-keys-leaked-photos/
--- End quote ---

I don't think there's much of a stronger argument against intentionally putting in backdoors to any form of security--including encryption--than this. Once the master/secret key is out, it's over for everybody!

CWuestefeld:
The big difference here is that if the bad guys can get into my suitcase, they might steal my socks.

The potential damage to us if and when somebody backdoors our secret data is far more serious.

TaoPhoenix:
I'm currently typing this on my tablet. It's too much work to properly quote the article. I'll edit this later to look nicer.

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/lockpickers-3-d-print-tsa-luggage-keys-leaked-photos/

I don't think there's much of a stronger argument against intentionally putting in backdoors to any form of security, including encryption than this. Once the master/secret key is out, it's over for everybody!
-Deozaan (September 10, 2015, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm gonna mis-fire my tone a little, but somewhere you (the Govt) can't both whine about "Cybersecurity" and "Let's put in weaknesses!"

Flannery O'Connor goes all "Everything That Rises Must Converge" on you.

So I am starting to disengage in all these stories because actually applying your third day of logic class 103 in college leads to madness. You just have to decide which of eleven squares you step into when you step out of the box, and eight of them lead to insanity. Renny would agree.
 :Thmbsup:

40hz:
The big difference here is that if the bad guys can get into my suitcase, they might steal my socks.

The potential damage to us if and when somebody backdoors our secret data is far more serious.
-CWuestefeld (September 10, 2015, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unless instead of stealing your socks they put an additional item or two in your suitcase. ;)

TaoPhoenix:

-CWuestefeld (September 10, 2015, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unless instead of stealing your socks they put an additional item or two in your suitcase. ;)

-40hz (September 10, 2015, 12:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

40hz was being nice. It gets WAY worse!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version