ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HELP! AMD Catalyst update broke my PC - How best to reinstall Windows 7?

<< < (8/11) > >>

mouser:
Maybe this is really telling me that the AMD driver problem was maybe a video card hardware problem.
I don't really know where to begin with replacing a video card and whether it's worth it,
--- End quote ---

older video cards are frequently discarded or available super cheap; having a spare one is never a bad idea.

it's absolutely sensible to get your hands on a spare cheap video card and try it -- it sounds like that may be your problem.

Innuendo:
it's absolutely sensible to get your hands on a spare cheap video card and try it -- it sounds like that may be your problem.
-mouser (September 12, 2015, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

If a person has techie friends, they often have one or more video cards laying around doing nothing they might let you have.

MilesAhead:
Too bad you are in the UK.  When I finally got around to replacing the card in my quad core I found a clearance item on newegg.  A good enough for my purposes video card with 1/2 GB  ram for around $20 plus a couple bucks shipping.

dr_andus:
Sounds like the keyboard has sticking keys but one thing you could do is change the CMOS battery, (normally a CR2032), it's probably nothing to do with the problem but if you haven't changed it previously, then 5 years is a long time considering there's no knowing what state the battery was in to start with.
-4wd (September 11, 2015, 05:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed, I have a CR2032 in there, except that it is of "NewSun" brand. I've never heard of that brand before. But I'll be replacing it shortly.

dr_andus:
As a simple possible fix:

* Shut down the computer, if the PSU has a power switch turn it off, otherwise turn it off at the power outlet but leave the power cable plugged in.  Push the computers power on switch for a few seconds, this will discharge anything left in the PSU.  (Of course, if the computer powers up, you've still got power being supplied to it :) )
* Remove the side panel of the computer.
* Ground yourself by holding the metal chassis for a few seconds.
* Unplug the separate power lead going to the video card, if it has one - some do, some don't.
* Remove the video card, there will be a small plastic locking clip on the PCIe slot you'll need slide/push out the way as well as any screws/clips holding it at the bracket end.  Avoid touching the contacts and/or any other bare component leads on the card if possible.
* Re-install the video card making sure it's properly seated and replace any screws that you removed.
* Keeping your fingers out the way, re-power the computer and let it run for a while doing whatever you'd normally do.
With any luck, it will have been just the contacts within the PCIe slot or on the card getting a little dirty.  The reseating will normally fix that problem, the constant heating/cooling cycles also sometimes causes the card to shift possibly causing intermittent or high resistance contacts - depends how good the retaining fixtures are.

If it seems to be working normally again, put the side panel back on while powered down.
-4wd (September 11, 2015, 08:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK, I have just done this. The AMD graphics card was very dusty all around. I used a painter's brush to clean off the dust (also to tease it out from the inside via the fan), as advised on the earlier thread.

I don't want to speak too soon, but it seems to have done the trick so far. I was able to install the latest version of the AMD Catalyst driver, and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the suggestions about getting another card. I'll see how this current fix goes first. I did actually do a quick search here in the UK for a compatible but higher spec card to replace this with, but the prices quoted (on Amazon UK, for instance) were too high for me (multiple hundred pounds). This whole episode has already convinced me to upgrade to a new machine, so I'd rather spend the money on that.

Too bad you are in the UK.  When I finally got around to replacing the card in my quad core I found a clearance item on newegg.  A good enough for my purposes video card with 1/2 GB  ram for around $20 plus a couple bucks shipping.
-MilesAhead (September 12, 2015, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a whole lot cheaper than what I found in the UK. I was either looking in the wrong places, or maybe in the UK there is a shortage of these older cards, which is driving their price back up again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version