ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HELP! AMD Catalyst update broke my PC - How best to reinstall Windows 7?

<< < (6/11) > >>

tomos:
did you try Aomei via their bootable disc?
-tomos (September 10, 2015, 02:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not quite sure what you're referring to. Do you mean "Create Bootable Media: Make a bootable rescue media such as a CD/DVD or USB drive", which is under Utilities in AOMEI Backupper Standard? I will try that next.-dr_andus (September 10, 2015, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes.
(I see there's also a Linux option - I chose the Win PE option and had to to download the necessaries from the Aomei site.)
AFAIK, you'll need it if you want to restore the OS partition - so I would create it before repairing or reinstalling OS.
Also, if you haven't already, be sure to create a Windows 'System Repair Disc' (if your system can create it - you can also use one created on another machine AFAIK) -

HELP! AMD Catalyst update broke my PC - How best to reinstall Windows 7?

So tomorrow I can start with the Windows re-installation.-dr_andus (September 10, 2015, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

best of luck!

dr_andus:
be sure to create a Windows 'System Repair Disc' (if your system can create it - you can also use one created on another machine AFAIK)
-tomos (September 11, 2015, 03:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tip, will do. Control Panel is inaccessible on this PC, but fortunately I have another Win7 PC in the household.

dr_andus:
To the description of the symptoms in the OP I should also add that recently I tried to get into the BIOS to fix something and it was also not working properly.

When I tried to use keyboard arrows to navigate the menu, BIOS would go crazy and the cursor would start cycling through the menu items at huge speed and then I would have to hit enter or escape to stop it, at which point it would stop at a seemingly random menu item, but never the one I wanted, so it took me forever even to just cancel operations and get out of there.

It was like a crazy fruit machine (slot machine). I don't know anything about how to fix or update BIOS but it seemed like another indication of things not being right.

4wd:
When I tried to use keyboard arrows to navigate the menu, BIOS would go crazy and the cursor would start cycling through the menu items at huge speed and then I would have to hit enter or escape to stop it, at which point it would stop at a seemingly random menu item, but never the one I wanted, so it took me forever even to just cancel operations and get out of there.-dr_andus (September 11, 2015, 04:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like the keyboard has sticking keys but one thing you could do is change the CMOS battery, (normally a CR2032), it's probably nothing to do with the problem but if you haven't changed it previously, then 5 years is a long time considering there's no knowing what state the battery was in to start with.

dr_andus:
Sounds like the keyboard has sticking keys but one thing you could do is change the CMOS battery, (normally a CR2032), it's probably nothing to do with the problem but if you haven't changed it previously, then 5 years is a long time considering there's no knowing what state the battery was in to start with.
-4wd (September 11, 2015, 05:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, I never knew that existed!

Yeah, speaking of a 5-yr old PC and all the trouble it's causing me at the moment, I am seriously contemplating whether I'd be better off getting a new PC (or even an ultrabook, as it's about the same price). The thing that's holding me back is that this system was still fairly usable just a couple of months ago, so it seems like a waste not to try to restore it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version