ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HELP! AMD Catalyst update broke my PC - How best to reinstall Windows 7?

<< < (5/11) > >>

dr_andus:
I may still very well have to do that (in fact I won't have another option if my in-place upgrade doesn't work).

But I have so many various software installed for which I may not even have the original installers (yes, I've been sloppy with that, I've learnt my lesson now) that it could take me a couple of weeks to reinstall them all (if I can even get copies of them). This would mean putting all my other urgent work on hold for which I need my machine and software.

I'll just try the in-place upgrade solution to see if by any chance I might get away with not having to reinstall everything manually.

I did a disk check yesterday and it seems to have been fine, so fingers crossed it's not a hard drive problem.

Anyway, VSS still doesn't work, but upon restart AOMEI has been able to get started, so I'm moving ahead (for now).

MilesAhead:
Anyway, VSS still doesn't work, but upon restart AOMEI has been able to get started, so I'm moving ahead (for now).
-dr_andus (September 10, 2015, 12:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you checked Volume Shadow Service in the services.msc applet?  It may be set to disabled.  On my Laptop I have it set to automatic but often I have to start it manually using this command from an administrative command prompt:
net start vss

For some reason it seems if I start it manually once then it survives warm booting for the rest of the day.  If it is already running using net start doesn't hurt anything.  It will show a message saying vss was already started.  :)

tomos:
Well, looks like my PC is well and truly messed up. I just tried to do my first AOMEI Backupper backup, and if I choose in the settings VSS (Microsoft's backup technique), I get this error message:

Failed to enable VSS. It may be caused because VSS service is disabled or there is no VSS service. Please check and try again.
Information Code:4140
The backup driver works improperly, you could restart the computer to solve the problem.
--- End quote ---

and if I choose AOMEI's built-in technique instead, I get:

Information Code:4140
The backup driver works improperly, you could restart the computer to solve the problem.
--- End quote ---
-dr_andus (September 10, 2015, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

did you try Aomei via their bootable disc?
I suspect that should work. IIRC it's Win PE based. I made one on a USB stick -- didnt use it to create backup, but it worked well for restore. (Think it's a seperate download from thier site.)

dr_andus:
Miles, Tom - thanks for the suggestions. I don't know if it's because my PC is 5 yrs old, but all operations take many long hours. I spent the whole afternoon, evening and night yesterday just running chkdsk (it must have been about 6+ hrs), and right now I'm in the 3rd hour of my very first AOMEI backup. Although the VSS didn't work, AOMEI did finish the backup (took about 2hrs for 284GB), and now it's 47% through checking backup integrity.

dr_andus:
did you try Aomei via their bootable disc?
-tomos (September 10, 2015, 02:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not quite sure what you're referring to. Do you mean "Create Bootable Media: Make a bootable rescue media such as a CD/DVD or USB drive", which is under Utilities in AOMEI Backupper Standard? I will try that next.

As for the backup, AOMEI is telling me that "the image is valid and integrated. The operation has been completed successfully." So tomorrow I can start with the Windows re-installation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version