ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

urgent free AVG expired request!

<< < (2/4) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Oh, goodness, it's been a few years since I have had AVG installed on a computer, but I'm not sure if those popups are really from AVG. The window title is odd, the Activate Now link is word wrapped, that button at the bottom says "Extend Your"... I think it is popup crapware trying to trick you into clicking things.

FWIW I redid all my A/V after all the myriad of Windows 10 upgrades at my house. I ended up putting Avast back onto my PC, but everyone else gets Bitdefender Free. It has basically no controls, but they shouldn't be doing anything that would require controls. Ymmv.
-x16wda (September 05, 2015, 09:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Note to self, I have to whine at my bank for sending me "legit" customer survey and other messages that look like junk. (The main way I know is the rollover links actually go to my bank address.) Same thing here, for example I have never in my life gotten an AVG message ... because I don't have AVG.

Now, if Malware is getting so good it scans to see if you have AVG *then* sends you a custom malware message ... yikes!

But unfortunately a more likely problem scenario is that the dept that "teaches you about anti-phishing" somehow lets slip a few disastrous looking messages!

So yeah, contact them, and maybe even try to get a manager and try to "get it in their feedback" to "report at a meeting" (the phrasing I tend to use).

bit:
bit, the message looks like from 'internet security' option of AVG which is in AVG PRO and can be enabled for 30 days in the free version.

AVG Free does not give any message for expiry. I have been using satisfactorily AVG Free since early days of AVG.

You may try this link http://www.avg.com/in-en/free-antivirus-protection to compare and download the free version, which will auto update but not expire. I have now AVG 2015 Free.

Regards,

Anand

-anandcoral (September 06, 2015, 03:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
^It worked, and so far so good.
I now have AVG free with no expiration date. Tnx 1000x.  :Thmbsup:
Tnx also to everyone who replied, you never know when your info is going to be the key data the other person so desperately needs.   :Thmbsup:

Ath:
Well, I've told before about my 'adventures' with AVG, and that I ditched it years ago because it was hogging the system to a crawl, even on an i7 860 (quad-cure, with HT) running off of a SSD. A couple of months ago I re-tried AVG on my system, and ditched it for exactly the same reasons.

I fail to understand a) Why AVG can't deliver their services like (most) other A/V packages with a normal resource-usage, and b) Why people are still using (and even buying :o) that system-hog application???
Yes, this is a honest question (I don't expect the a) part to be answered, btw :P).

mouser:
I've been using AVG and have been satisfied with it.. Here's what I'll say:

* 1. I'm using AVG as antivirus and firewall. I want a combined system.  I previously used ESET and was very happy with that except for a known bug that was bluescreening me on removal/insertion of external drives, which caused me to switch. Before that I used Outpost and was very happy with that (until some bug drove me to Eset)
* 2. I haven't noticed it slowing down my system -- if i had then i would drop it.  It's possible of course that it is doing so on occasion but that I am not noticing it or not properly blaming it.
* 3. As far as being a resource hog, I haven't noticed it being so. Any tips on how to compare it (or web pages comparing it) would be welcome!
As a more general answer I should say that I'm more of a satisfactionizer than an optimizer when it comes to system tools -- once a tool works well enough i tend to stop looking for the best tool..

anandcoral:
I've been using AVG and have been satisfied with it.. Here's what I'll say:

* 1. I'm using AVG as antivirus and firewall. I want a combined system.  I previously used ESET and was very happy with that except for a known bug that was bluescreening me on removal/insertion of external drives, which caused me to switch.
* 2. I haven't noticed it slowing down my system -- if i had then i would drop it.  It's possible of course that it is doing so on occasion but that I am not noticing it or not properly blaming it.
* 3. As far as being a resource hog, I haven't noticed it being so. Any tips on how to compare it (or web pages comparing it) would be welcome!
As a more general answer I should say that I'm more of a satisfactionizer than an optimizer when it comes to system tools -- once a tool works well enough i tend to stop looking for the best tool..
-mouser (September 06, 2015, 01:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ditto. Even with AVG Free.

The fun part is, when I give my pen-drive to the photo printing shop, they scan it with anti-virus (name withheld) and then copy the images to print. Back at home when I put the pen-drive in my machine, AVG stops and reports virus and I format it. This is a routine.

Regards,

Anand

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version