ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What online services do you pay for?

<< < (4/7) > >>

dr_andus:
For subscriptions, you pay less, and can cancel at any time if you decide not to use it.
-wraith808 (September 10, 2015, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, you say that, but there is a certain lock-in and inertia. I have all these gigabytes on Mozy, and I'm not even that crazy about their service, but just can't bear the thought of having to re-upload all that data to another service (I know some can seed it via DVDs, but even making those and mailing them etc. takes time). It's just I prefer to use my free time for something else. So they got me...

cyberdiva:
Like some other folks here, I pay for LastPass Premium and for Netflix.  Also for three online services that haven't been mentioned.  One is the Windows Secrets Newsletter, which I find very helpful in keeping up with a host of computer issues and which has a pay-what-you-want policy.  I used to read Fred Langa's "Langa List," and when he closed that and went to the Windows Secrets Newsletter, I subscribed.  His articles and Susan Bradley's I find especially useful.  The other two are electronic greeting card companies, Jacquie Lawson and American Greetings.  I would also subscribe to Malwarebytes AntiMalware Premium, but I have a grandmothered lifetime subscription.  That's true also of WinPatrol, which now uses a subscription model.

4wd:
Your post prompted me to look into nsupdate.info so I did and I couldn't figure out how to use it.-Deozaan (September 10, 2015, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

For future info or anyone else that's interested:

* Create an account
* Go to Overview
* Add a host (eg. fred.nsupdate.info)
* Click on your newly created host name - you can Delete, manually update IP, etc here
* Click on Show Configuration - you'll be taken to a page that will provide HTTPS links for updating either your IPv4 or IPv6, (which you can bookmark to update your IP via browser), plus instructions for various router firmware and/or DDNS clients.NOTE: Every time you go to the Show Configuration page a new Host Secret, (for update login), is generated rendering the old one invalid.

What online services do you pay for?

My router is configured to automatically connect to my Dyn account and update my IP as needed. I don't have to worry about it, and my PC doesn't even have to be running for my IP to update. :Thmbsup:
--- End quote ---

My new ISP provided router, (while good), doesn't provide user specified DDNS host editing, just the usual culprits from a drop-down list.  I have a computer that's on 24/7 so it was just as easy to set the PoSh script, plus it sends any IP change to SmartDNS so the geo-unlocking keeps working, (otherwise I'd have to log in to the site and "activate" my new IP).

JavaJones:
I have all these gigabytes on Mozy, and I'm not even that crazy about their service, but just can't bear the thought of having to re-upload all that data to another service (I know some can seed it via DVDs, but even making those and mailing them etc. takes time). It's just I prefer to use my free time for something else. So they got me...
-dr_andus (September 10, 2015, 06:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Man, putting all your data on DVDs *would* be awful. Fortunately there are at least 2 services I know of that will actually just ship you a large hard drive (2TB+ - the one I got most recently was 5TB!). iDrive does it for *free*, while CrashPlan does it for a one-time fee. The actual backup process is a breeze with both since they both support local backups as well as online (bonus!), you just set the drive as a local backup location and do your full backup. It takes time, sure, but minimal effort. iDrive and CrashPlan both have their downsides, which I've talked about elsewhere here, but I currently use iDrive and overall I'm fairly happy with it. Oh and depending on how complex your file sharing requirements are, iDrive might be able to stand-in for at least some of it. It doesn't act like "live" push/pull storage like Dropbox or GDrive, but you *can* easily link someone online to any file you're backing up, which is pretty cool.

- Oshyan

dr_andus:
Fortunately there are at least 2 services I know of that will actually just ship you a large hard drive (2TB+ - the one I got most recently was 5TB!).
-JavaJones (September 10, 2015, 10:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow, things have moved on since I last looked into it! That would make it a lot easier (presuming this is also available in the UK). Thanks for the heads up!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version