ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

Official CMS Migration Progress Thread - September 2017

<< < (20/35) > >>

mouser:
I've tried hard to not remove any content from the new site; but some old pages/sections that are out of date are being moved into a "Historical Archives" section so that the main site organization can be a little easier to navigate:

mouser:
I'm still not entirely sure the best way to organize the software section, but what I'm leaning towards now is a page under the main software section for "Friends of DC", which can link to the software sites of DC members and tell people about them.  The idea is that while we may not "host" this software, we can help draw some attention to the software pages of DC members:

mouser:
Top-level section pages now have a uniform look -- it's not cutting edge but it's clean and easy to maintain and is dynamically generated so if we move stuff around it requires no editing.

Some examples:

mouser:
Rather than run google ads, I made a custom "internal advert" module which can show in the sidebar some different things at random..  You'll see it in action in the screenshots above.

It can show a random "testimonial" quote (like our current site does on some pages), except now it's easy for people to submit new quotes, and it has custom avatar pictures.  But it can also show some random blurbs we can create that mention either one of our software programs with a screenshot, or a blurb and screenshot recommending one of the many websites we are fond of (techsupport alert, ghacks, etc.), or a random DC member website, etc.

Ath:
(Yes, I've been on that actual test-environment :P)
The menu used does seem a bit sluggish in some places. May have to do with the soft-scroll it seems to use, but after clicking an item there is no feedback, like the menu closing, it just waits a couple of hundred milliseconds and then the menu disappears and immediately the page shows. That last part is fine :), but the extra feedback of the menu closing immediately and the page taking a few hundred milliseconds to show is a more natural feeling, IMHO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version