ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

Official CMS Migration Progress Thread - September 2017

<< < (11/35) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Sounds great Stephen (& mouser of course) :up:

One thing I am still really excited about is the prospect of seeing the site constantly updated by anybody who writes articles for DC.  These will all be given a nice place to live on the main website rather than just a forum post, and the writers can keep things up-to-date far more easily through their own Editor Admin Page!

If anybody has any questions, then feel free to ask and I will happily answer!
-Stephen66515 (February 02, 2016, 02:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

1) will there be the ability to comment on/below articles?
2) will wiki-type pages be a possibility? (apologies if discussed before, I havent reread thread...)
-tomos (February 02, 2016, 03:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

•  Not been discussed, but I don't really see why not.  I guess these could be either embedded on Joomla directly, or using something like "Disqus" - Again though, it hasn't been discussed so...yeah...I like the thought of it/would be happy to include the ability to do so! (Afterthought: I guess there might be a way for it to automatically create a forum post, then the comments would actually be held on the forum, but be able to be posted to/viewed from the article page...no idea if that is even possible and I'm literally just throwing out a random idea there!!!)
2) will wiki-type pages be a possibility? (apologies if discussed before, I havent reread thread...)
    •  Could you elaborate on this? :)

tomos:
=>
I'd say it's an important capability:
could be limited to forum members; but using other options, e.g. disqus as you say, could draw in new people.

a very good example of where wiki-style editing would have been of great help was Steven Avery's fully free software utilities for biz use.
Over a period of years, no-one is going to maintain a list like that.
A full wiki would not be necessary, but something enabling multiple editors could help keep something like that alive and up-to-date.

EDIT//
if comments were possible, one moderator could give other active posters moderator status. Something along those lines allowing more input would be of help.

rgdot:
Just a random thought:

1) Sites with both a blog and a forum need to be careful about 'diluting' user content into blog comments and forum replies, ie creating two instead of one place to share thoughts on same thing. Ideally (imo) to comment on a blog post you would automatically redirect the user to the forum but the issue is forum requires registration and presumably blog comments are open...so yes I guess this is just a thought.

mouser:
--- End quote ---
absolutely.

2) will wiki-type pages be a possibility?
--- End quote ---
yes yes yes.

1) Sites with both a blog and a forum need to be careful about 'diluting' user content into blog comments and forum replies
--- End quote ---
definitely an issue we have to figure out.

one of the nice things about the new cms is that on cms pages we now have a sidebar showing recent posts on the FORUM that are related to that page. So software pages now show the most recent posts about the program from the forum section for that program.

wraith808:
definitely an issue we have to figure out.

one of the nice things about the new cms is that on cms pages we now have a sidebar showing recent posts on the FORUM that are related to that page. So software pages now show the most recent posts about the program from the forum section for that program.
-mouser (February 02, 2016, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've seen some sites where blog posts posted create a forum thread for that post- their forum is the commenting system for the blog.  That might be a way to consolidate the conversation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version