ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

Official CMS Migration Progress Thread - September 2017

<< < (2/35) > >>

rgdot:

JavaJones:
WOOOOO-HOOOOO! It's been a long time coming. Congratulations mouser on getting started on this! And thanks Stephen for helping him out. He needs (and deserves) it. :)

My only feedback so far is that the look of the top menu is really quite... Windows 95. Any plans to change that? I know it's a somewhat minor quibble. :D

Edit: I realized I had another question - what are you using for the software listings!? I really hope you looked closely at using a directory listing type plugin.

- Oshyan

KynloStephen66515:
WOOOOO-HOOOOO! It's been a long time coming. Congratulations mouser on getting started on this! And thanks Stephen for helping him out. He needs (and deserves) it. :)

My only feedback so far is that the look of the top menu is really quite... Windows 95. Any plans to change that? I know it's a somewhat minor quibble. :D

Edit: I realized I had another question - what are you using for the software listings!? I really hope you looked closely at using a directory listing type plugin.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (September 03, 2015, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

1. Not a problem at all! - Have to keep this short so I don't lose my steam moving all the pages xD!

2. Well...the menu I must admit, is not my creation, nor am I overly keen on it and am certainly open to changing the design! Will have to get mouser to see what he can create :D

3. Software listings are simply article pages - It was discussed many times for us to use some listings plugin, or repository software, but in the end a suitable one could never be found, and we are quickly learning that having them as articles on the website makes them just as easy to keep updated as any plugin/repository would be.

Currently, the process is something along the lines of - I bring pages over, realize we don't have a CSS class for a certain bit of the site, so mouser will then create that, then I drop that class into the code to make the page pretty with mousers CSS classes!  We have started getting a bit more 'fluid' with how we are working, and with each page we move over, the quicker we are getting.  I think the main killer points right at the beginning were trying to get the actual DESIGN of the site done to a point that it looks...remotely like DC and still looks "new", and now that's done, it is certainly a much easier thing to manage!

Nothing in the design is really set in stone right now and any images that are shared could be subject to change at any time (based on people's suggestions/ideas etc). - One thing I will point out...is those people who had access to the Beta Forum, also had access to see the CMS ;)

cranioscopical:
improved site search (With smart-auto-completion to make searching far easier!)
-Stephen66515 (September 03, 2015, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nice  :Thmbsup:

mouser:
JavaJones actually deserves some real credit for gently but repeatedly suggesting I check out joomla -- so far i've been thrilled with it and am very happy to have switched over to it from my original plan to use Drupal.

My only feedback so far is that the look of the top menu is really quite... Windows 95. Any plans to change that? I know it's a somewhat minor quibble.
-JavaJones (September 03, 2015, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I hear ya about the win95 look of the main top menu navigation.  It's just the css making the buttons look that way -- we will no doubt give it a more modern look before we go live.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version