ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Deleting Recovery Partition and Merging to C drive

<< < (2/2)

mouser:
So I have dropped the plan for these partitions. Better safe than sorry.
-anandcoral (September 11, 2015, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think you made a wise decision.

Shades:
Increasing the size of your C:\ partition can be done...by sacrificing the recovery partition (the one of 9.18GByte).

So if you decide you can live without that, there are 3 ways to go:
1.) Moving all partitions to the end of your hard disk, so the free space gained is now next to the C:\ partition and you can simply extend the C:\ partition.
2.) use the empty space to create a new partition and move the pagefile.sys file there.
3.) use the empty space to mount it with the C:\ partition. NTFS allows for this.

Method 1 is tricky, time-consuming and make sure you have sufficient grid power for as long as this action will take. Also, all this time you cannot use your computer.
Method 2 is easy and the least time-consuming. It would help to configure the page file to have a start size of 8GByte and and end size of 8GByte. That way it won't fragment and the remaining free space on that new partition remains sufficient in size. Enjoy the free space on C:\! Even more space can be gained when you remove the hibernation file by disabling that functionality, but that is something you won't like to do.
Method 3 isn't difficult either, but could be considered intermediate, because of the concepts the user needs to grasp.

anandcoral:
Thanks Shades for the suggestions.

Can I get any help file, web link etc for the methods 2 and 3 ? They seem interesting and I may try them in case C: nearly fills up.

Regards,

Anand

Shades:
Method 2.
Disable hibernation.

Method 3.

The Windows OS's being used in these pages may be a bit different than the one you are currently running. However, these methods are practically the same for any of the Windows OS's, so that shouldn't hold you back.

And, in case you are want to know more about method 1, the link explains very basically the concept of how to allocate free space from one partition to another. There is also a hint about moving partitions. The software used at the link is from Aomei, but you don't have to worry, software from other vendors looks and feels practically the same. Personal favorite for this kind of task is MiniTool, but there are many alternatives.

anandcoral:
Thanks Shades.

These will come handy when needed.

Regards,

Anand

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version