ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Free blog hosting for members at DonationCoder - might be a good idea?

<< < (5/6) > >>

Wordzilla:
for myself, I was thinking of the latter (different bloggers on a single blog),...
-tomos (July 20, 2006, 08:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I respectfully disagree.  8)

Blogging should be independent and personal, strictly, and also no strings attached, no restrictions imposed. Blogging is fun only when it's simultaneously personal (or private) and interactive, IMO.

tomos:

Well, I respectfully disagree.  8)

Blogging should be independent and personal, strictly, and also no strings attached, no restrictions imposed. Blogging is fun only when it's simultaneously personal (or private) and interactive, IMO.
-Mobysaurus (July 20, 2006, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Point taken,
its not that I really prefer the mixed bloggers idea, its just that I know I get an idea once in a while, it then takes time to mature,  :)  and more time to get written, which means I wouldnt get to post so often
and I wouldnt want that to mean that people just dont get to read the stuff

but your idea would probably get around that-
1. Allow a member to submit a RSS feed to his own profile (should be from his own blog, by default)

2. He will then have the option to "Display an extract of my latest blog entry on the Forum" or "Keep other members up-to-date about my blog"
--- End quote ---

mouser:
i want to restart this thread as the new secondary server for hosting member stuff is now up and working well and so i'm ready to install some wiki/blogging/cms software for users.

we need to figure out a good solution that doesnt require a separate install for each user and isn't hard to maintain, and wont drag down server.

Carol Haynes:
I think Drupal allows multiple user installation.

housetier:
what would the "multiple user installations" be used for? should each user be able to maintain their site? For example housetier.dcmembers.com would use a certain theme and feature set and carolh.dcmembers.com could look completely different and would provide other features, but both "installations" will use the same backend?

This is possible with drupal, although I have not done this myself. The "sites" directory certainly hints at this feature.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version