ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Free blog hosting for members at DonationCoder - might be a good idea?

<< < (3/6) > >>

mouser:
now a question for the bloggers.
i am going to try to figure out a way to have both options, so blogger can choose, but in general do people think they would rather each of their completely independent blog with their own custom look, or be different bloggers on a single blog.

i am guessing the former; the real advantage of the latter is that if you had 20 bloggers who only posted once a week you would still have a lively vibrant page that visitors might grow to enjoy and visit.  wheras if you each have your own individual blog, you might get lost in the crowd.  on the other hand, im assuming most of you will want to have your own blog which you can use for your own circles.  maybe we can find a way to do both..

mouser:
i should mention there are quite a few nice free blog hosting sites (www.blogger.com, www.livejournal.com); vrgirl is a master blogger maybe she can give us an overview..

but i still think it would be fun to have our own blogging place for members.

Carol Haynes:
Can you make them linked to the DC user ID or will they require seperate logins?

mouser:
not sure yet carol.. i will look into smf integration.

app103:
It is possible to move existing blogspot blogs to dc...Blogger lets you do that.

I have published a few off of blogspot before. It would require ftp access. The same static pages that would normally go onto blogspot would be uploaded to the server instead, including an rss feed file.

The rss feeds can be used to snatch posts and put them into an all-in-one dc group blog. Blogger users would just have to set up the Blogger account to publish full text to the feed and not just a teaser.

That could be an option for some with existing Blogger blogs. They could still use Blogger, but publish to dc.

Doing it that way may be less work to set it up too.

You would just have to give all bloggers an ftp account/space and know where the rss feed file is.

Another possibility is a Blogger account for dc...and a group blog where we all can post to the same blog. It could be published in the same manor as I described above. You can write a custom template for it to look like the rest of the site. I have done a group blog with Blogger before, too.

People that use tools like w.Bloggar can post the same post to multiple blogs. They would just have to check off the dc group blog in addition to their regular one when posting.

That way no matter where their existing blog is located they can still be a part of this, since w.Bloggar works with just about everything.

Just a few ideas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version