ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Hack font v.2

<< < (3/4) > >>

phitsc:
I find it fascinating how many 'programming' fonts there are, and how everyone has their favorite even more so.

Jibz:
I find it fascinating how many 'programming' fonts there are, and how everyone has their favorite even more so.
-phitsc (September 03, 2015, 01:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think there is a tendency that "craftsmen" feel strongly about their tools. Programmers spend a lot of their time looking at code, so seemingly small differences in editors, fonts, and coding style, appear important to them. Perhaps these details don't really make a big difference in productivity, but I think many have a slight case of CMOD (compulsive-micro-optimization-disorder).

tomos:
^ using good tools, in any area, makes work more of a pleasure.
I find that anyways.

mouser:
I think there is a tendency that "craftsmen" feel strongly about their tools. Programmers spend a lot of their time looking at code, so seemingly small differences in editors, fonts, and coding style, appear important to them.
-Jibz (September 03, 2015, 03:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think you are onto something here but i think it goes a bit deeper than that.. Part of the dna of being a "craftsman/maker/etc" seems to be a desire -- a compulsion -- to try building the things we use.  Often this leads to incredibly huge inefficient illogical wastes of time, like a reinventing the wheel and building something that we should just have let someone else build.  There is some real pleasure and learning that comes out of it -- but often it feels like a compulsion that one simply gives in to in order to get the idea out of your head.  :P

Babbel00:
I used Dina for a long time.. up till my monitor gained a lot of inches (I maintain it was becoz of my eye-sight! but not really.. just greed).. from then on Dina just wasn't workable anymore, since - although it is awesome at smaller sizes - it doesn't scale up nicely.
From that time on (2010) I used Vera Sans Mono (scales better, but isn't monospaced at all of course), and with a stroke of luck I came across Hack too, approx. 2 months ago.
I like it alot more than VSM (http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/bitstream-vera-sans-mono), but I'm still hoping Hack turns up with a true monospaced variant some day soon, because that would be awesome.

I could be German.. I like nicely lining columns and rows of characters THAT much XD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version