ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any free portable pdf editor with these features?

<< < (3/5) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
I am mainly looking for the following functions:
- Add pages
- Delete pages
- Rotate pages
- Crop Pages
- Add Text
- Eraser
- Add Comments
- Add Stamps
- Encryption
- Insert Images
- OCR (I know this one is really pushing it)

I was also thinking of going around PDF's limitations and first convert it to TIFF and use a multi-page TIFF editor but couldn't find anything suitable for this task as well.

TIA

-motiontwelve (August 31, 2015, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Motion12, I'm gonna say give PDF Exchange Editor Free a hard look. Just to keep your original question alive, I'm speed-posting this. A couple of your features may not be there, , but it's gonna be close.

TaoPhoenix:
Okay, here we go:

- Add pages -- yes
- Delete pages -- Pro, but I think you can get clever and do "extract" the inverse pages and re-save.
- Rotate pages -- Yes
- Crop Pages -- Pro
- Add Text --Yes (But you said TEXT, so that seems free, but adding shapes and lines etc is Pro)
- Eraser -- Sorta; You erase text with the "Add Text" tool but hit backspace. But I think erasing shapes etc is Pro.
- Add Comments -- I don't see this even for Pro though I think I might ask the developers about it. Looks like you can see/etc other people's existing comments though. And it adds Stickies so I'm not sure the diff between stickies and Comments

- Add Stamps -- Look at Digital Signing - Timestamps? Sign Document? Certify? But all that is Pro
- Encryption -- This might be the same as File/Doc Properties/Password Security and stuff
- Insert Images -- Pro
- OCR -- Actually seems to be there! But my particular machine crashes the prog with an error but I have a quirky ailing copy of XP, so you should try it.

And the complete chart comparison is here:
http://tracker-software.com/pdf-xchange-products-comparison-chart

So, does that help?

8)

Curt:
I think his keyword is "free"

tomos:
I think his keyword is "free"-Curt (September 02, 2015, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd say Tao's summary is as near as he'll get - I'm actually surprised the free version even does that much!

Re PDF Exchange & OCR, see quote below - relates to the viewer, but presume the editor is at least as good.

PDF-XChange Viewer now gets a 5  x  :Thmbsup: from me (was 4½).
No issues re OCR, now - it all seems to work just fine. I see that it currently caters for English, French, German, Spanish, but I have only used the English OCR functionality so far.
-IainB (June 20, 2013, 12:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree that PDF-XChange Viewer is excellent. I used the free version for years, and recently have upgraded to PRO.

Regarding OCR, it is generally fine for most purposes. Where it begins to have problems is with poorly scanned texts. For those situations I use ABBYY FineReader, and there can be a big difference: where PDF-XChange Viewer might have a 60-70% success rate in recognising text (which is basically unusable, as you can't understand a sentence where a third of the words are unintelligible), FineReader produces a 99.99% correct OCR. But these are marginal cases I'm talking about (book pages scanned at a low resolution).
-dr_andus (July 22, 2013, 07:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Curt:
One minor thing: "Extract page" will not lead to "Delete page".

I am mainly looking for the following functions:
- Add pages - Delete pages - Rotate pages - Crop Pages - Add Text - Eraser - Add Comments - Add Stamps - Encryption - Insert Images - OCR-motiontwelve (August 31, 2015, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

motiontwelve simply listed all the features of PDF-Exchange Viewer PRO and said "I want all this for free"

It will be interesting to see if he can get all that for free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version