ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How are we all getting by with our reading organization/tracking post-RSS?

<< < (3/5) > >>

JavaJones:
Ooo, more RSS reader options to investigate! I'm not sure if I'm more excited or dreading the possible desire to switch, haha. But Bazqux sounds promising.

- Oshyan

phitsc:
Ooo, more RSS reader options to investigate! I'm not sure if I'm more excited or dreading the possible desire to switch, haha. But Bazqux sounds promising.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (September 01, 2015, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bazqux is also very quick to respond to support inquiries, both technical and administrative. I can only recommend the service :up:

Deozaan:
After Google Reader died, I just stopped reading my daily feeds.

It was kind of weird at first. But in hindsight I've realized I don't miss them. That said, I've found new ways to waste hours of my mornings catching up on news.

superboyac:
After Google Reader died, I just stopped reading my daily feeds.

It was kind of weird at first. But in hindsight I've realized I don't miss them. That said, I've found new ways to waste hours of my mornings catching up on news.
-Deozaan (September 01, 2015, 02:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
same story with me basically.  I bet i could hack together some kind of system using just links.  I mean, that's good enough for me.  An easy way to add links to a list, and then somehow the list monitors whether i've read those links or not.  maybe there's a firefox plugin that could do it...something like this workflow:
--see a link to read later, click something to add to the list
--when you are ready to read, go to the list and click the link.
--once the link is clicked thru the list, the list knows you've read it and stores it as completed.

now that i wrote it out, it looks like something that probably already exists.

Nod5:
Good thread! Like you, superboyac, I miss the heydays of RSS. I still use RSS when possible but only a local RSS reader app on the desktop PC.

In addition I store .url files with tags locally. Still very useful when researching a topic since you can combine .url files (with tags in filename) with images, pdfs and any other file in a folder (with subfolders). Everything is easy to search with FARR/Everything/SilverSearcher too. But I have no really good system for syncing and using that with Android. Lately I've experimented with using a google docs document as "base" for a project, with pasted url links, notes and a related docs folder with other files.

I also use Pocket since it is so easy and quick to add to the pocket list from both PCs and from Chrome on android phones. But I dislike the pocket app/webapp and tend to use only the pocket addon in firefox in list mode and launch items from there into the browser for reading. I hate having to wait for the Android Pocket app to load and sync slowly because it downloads the content and nudges me to read stuff inside the app.

I'd love to see two things happen:
1. a tool that, like pocket, lets me add stuff very quickly to a synced list from any browser on any platform *and* lets me on any platform browse *only* a minimalist version of that list (page title and url, with word/date filtering) for quick launching into a browser.
2. A minimal websynced RSS reader that likewise *only* stores urls, page titles and dates (no content snippets, no images, etc) lets you star and delete items but apart from that only has one long list of items per feed. It should of course also runs on all platforms.

I think that many attempts at making webapp RSS managers or similar things have failed because they've tried to do too much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version