ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How are we all getting by with our reading organization/tracking post-RSS?

<< < (4/5) > >>

superboyac:
Good thread! Like you, superboyac, I miss the heydays of RSS. I still use RSS when possible but only a local RSS reader app on the desktop PC.

In addition I store .url files with tags locally. Still very useful when researching a topic since you can combine .url files (with tags in filename) with images, pdfs and any other file in a folder (with subfolders). Everything is easy to search with FARR/Everything/SilverSearcher too. But I have no really good system for syncing and using that with Android. Lately I've experimented with using a google docs document as "base" for a project, with pasted url links, notes and a related docs folder with other files.

I also use Pocket since it is so easy and quick to add to the pocket list from both PCs and from Chrome on android phones. But I dislike the pocket app/webapp and tend to use only the pocket addon in firefox in list mode and launch items from there into the browser for reading. I hate having to wait for the Android Pocket app to load and sync slowly because it downloads the content and nudges me to read stuff inside the app.

I'd love to see two things happen:
1. a tool that, like pocket, lets me add stuff very quickly to a synced list from any browser on any platform *and* lets me on any platform browse *only* a minimalist version of that list (page title and url, with word/date filtering) for quick launching into a browser.
2. A minimal websynced RSS reader that likewise *only* stores urls, page titles and dates (content snippets, no images, etc) lets you star and delete items but apart from that only has one long list of items per feed. It should of course also runs on all platforms.

I think that many attempts at making webapp RSS managers or similar things have failed because they've tried to do too much.
-Nod5 (September 02, 2015, 10:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nice, yes, you seem to have more experiences than i do.  I think the problem with RSS is simply the content control is with each site, so the rss software can only do so much.  I always feel i'm clicking far too much whenever i do anything with rss.  click the article, click to expand, click to launch in browser, click to close browser, click to go back, click click click.  it's like 3x too many clicks for everything.

forget rss.  your 2 suggestions are pretty good.  just a list of links and some cool features to manage them.  maybe linkman can do something.

superboyac:
Here's a stupid simple hack using linkman as an option...
I can easily create a bookmark for linkman with a click.
in linkman, it just gets stored in a big list.  It can be sorted by "launch count".  So if you reverse sort it where the lowest counts are at the top, that means the ones on top are the ones you haven't visited yet.  So it's kind of a self-sorting list.  If you click to read an article, it's count increases and goes to the bottom.  It's doable.

Nod5:
I always feel i'm clicking far too much whenever i do anything with rss.  click the article, click to expand, click to launch in browser, click to close browser, click to go back, click click click.  it's like 3x too many clicks for everything.
-superboyac (September 02, 2015, 11:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, very true. Though on the desktop I try to streamline the RSS use like so: quickly browse through a bunch of feeds in one go, checking only titles lines (not content preview) and doubleclicking (I use RSSOwl) anything interesting to load it in an external browser in the background. Then close the RSS reader and starting reading in browser. There's still a fair number of clicks involved but not too much and in a way the dislike for clicking helps me be picky on what to read - good since the biggest trouble with RSS is that there is too darn much interesting stuff to read flowing in every day ;D

app103:
I stopped reading RSS feeds for awhile, once I started following bloggers on Friendfeed. But with the Friendfeed shutdown earlier this year, I have gone back to using Newzie.

But rather than using the main window with the built in browser (like I used to use), I have switched to using the Today window, with just the headlines and short excerpt on hover. Click the headline and it open the page in my default browser.  It allows me to get through the feeds, reading anything that catches my eye, much quicker.

kwacky1:
I still use RSS  :D

I run ttrss on my own web server  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version