ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Small utility for finding Wireless Networks?

<< < (2/2)

vegas:
"Windows Network Connection" will show you if there are any wireless networks available where you are. Just right click on the little connection icon in the system tray and choose "Show Available Wireless Networks".

(By the way I'm pretty sure it is illegal to connect via a wireless network without the owners knowledge and permission.)
-Carol Haynes (June 27, 2006, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually it's more illegal to leave a network unsecured.  Unless you are using an unsecured network to do illegal activties, there are not clear laws against using them.  This is here in the states anyways (so far)

Wordzilla:
netstumbler:
http://www.stumbler.net/readme/readme_0_4_0.html
-mouser (June 27, 2006, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I would too recommend Netstumbler all the time for such purposes, and it's especially good at hunting wireless hotspots.

I used the app quite a lot when I was trying to improve the wireless signal quality and coverage in my uncle's company since it gives you very detailed and constantly updated signal info about each network.

Eóin:
Unfortunatly netstumbler doesn't seem to be working with our laptop, an old win2k pc with a pcima wireless card :( . I'll play around with it a bit more and see if I can get it to work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version