ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

Forum Upgraded August 30, 2015 - Report issues here

<< < (12/81) > >>

x16wda:
Hm... lotsa spam here this morning, is that an artifact of the upgrade or just a happy coincidence?  :P

mouser:
Is there any way I can hide the social media buttons and the translate drop down box at the bottom of each page? I don't need them and they bother me.
--- End quote ---

yes, just give me a week to take care of any other bugs and problems with the site/forum, then i can start adding options like this.

mouser:
And to add a request if possible; a Powershell Code Highlighter if there's one available?
--- End quote ---
done.

mouser:
lotsa spam here this morning, is that an artifact of the upgrade or just a happy coincidence?
--- End quote ---
well the good news is that with an upgraded forum we have a few more weapons we can deploy against spammers -- and more importantly adding more custom code to stop them isn't so painful -- so any increase in spammers is only temporary :)

TaoPhoenix:
Hm... lotsa spam here this morning, is that an artifact of the upgrade or just a happy coincidence?  :P
-x16wda (August 31, 2015, 05:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's a co-incidence but since "most of the point" of the upgrade is to help relieve Mouser's headaches with his growing spaghetti code, I asked earlier if there are new methods that can help anti-spam. The "brutal" (but it turned out to be effective!) one another site I know that began to have growing spam problems, is the first post must be approved by a moderator. This doesn't stop the *really* clever ones from posting a "legit" comment then spamming, but those guys tend not to be that smart. The only downside is as we try to grow members if that turns away new legit members, and the whole philosophy here is pretty balanced. (I keep saying the "Basement" is a stunning innovation that fixed like 12 random "gray zone" problems!)

Other ways are some kinds of semantic analysis but those risk false positives and negatives. So it's never a clear concrete answer.

Edit: And Mouser just beat me to it!

well the good news is that with an upgraded forum we have a few more weapons we can deploy against spammers -- and more importantly adding more custom code to stop them isn't so painful -- so any increase in spammers is only temporary :)
-mouser (August 31, 2015, 06:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version