ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Raymond.cc roundup of ad blocking extensions

<< < (4/5) > >>

wraith808:
Eh... I didn't really think it was *that* bad.  And considering the way that Gorhill just up and left, I didn't feel loyalty to either side.  I just use the one that works.  And the fact that I couldn't even get to pages that I wanted to with origin running made me not regret my decision to uninstall it and go with the other.

f0dder:
And the fact that I couldn't even get to pages that I wanted to with origin running made me not regret my decision to uninstall it and go with the other.-wraith808 (September 16, 2015, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
You can choose not to subscribe to the badware filters, or you can use one of the buttons for specific sites...
Raymond.cc roundup of ad blocking extensions

superboyac:
ok, just went through this.  Man, I'm glad someone did these tests.  So here's my question...why use a product like Adguard?  (I switched to this from ad muncher recently).  ublock origin is clearly the best of the bunch, and it works as a plugin.  is there any advantage to adguard, which is different than plugins in that it runs as a separate software service, not really a plugin although it behaves the same way in browsers.  I think someone here did a great review on it.

The only reason i can think of is that it blocks things other than browser stuff.  Supposedly, it blocks it directly at the source, whatever that means.  But the advantage of this was supposed to be that it's even faster than just a plain ol plugin blocker.  But...now that these tests are out, that is not really the case.  So why use it?  You would think it has additional features a plugin doesn't, but i can't really think of any that a plugin doesn't have.  Like, I just use the white and black list features for the most part, and all blockers have that.

mwb1100:
why use a product like Adguard?
-superboyac (March 23, 2016, 10:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I use it because:

- AdMuncher stopped being effective for some things
  - I got a decent deal on AdGuard
  - at the time I found the situation between uBlock and  uBlock Origin confusing
  - I can't remember why I decided against Adblock Plus
  - AdGuard seemed to have active, decent support on their forums

AdGuard is working well enough for me. Someday I might reexamine that decision.  Some of my browsing is slower than I'd like, and I get the feeling that AdGuard might be factor with that.

superboyac:
why use a product like Adguard?
-superboyac (March 23, 2016, 10:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I use it because:

- AdMuncher stopped being effective for some things
  - I got a decent deal on AdGuard
  - at the time I found the situation between uBlock and  uBlock Origin confusing
  - I can't remember why I decided against Adblock Plus
  - AdGuard seemed to have active, decent support on their forums

AdGuard is working well enough for me. Someday I might reexamine that decision.  Some of my browsing is slower than I'd like, and I get the feeling that AdGuard might be factor with that.
-mwb1100 (March 23, 2016, 10:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks.
Regarding that last bit...I have definitely noticed the performance hit as well.  But if it's slower because it's blocking stuff, that's fine.  If not, then I may not really need it because ublock is just plain faster.

around the time ublock got popular, adblock was beginning to not work very well.  I don't remember why exactly either, but i think it had to do with the whole https thing with google, youtube, flash, etc.  it all seemed to happen at around the same time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version