ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Raymond.cc roundup of ad blocking extensions

<< < (2/5) > >>

wraith808:
^ FWIW I prefer the uBlock variation - the "origin" version started blocking whole webpages which I felt wasn't it's job:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=41317.msg385536#msg385536
-tomos (August 28, 2015, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same here.  And the direction that's been taken since the split has confirmed at least in my mind, my choice.

4wd:
I find the whole uBlock/uBlock Origin thing to be an unfortunate and confusing mess.
-mwb1100 (August 28, 2015, 05:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
agreed -
the fact of it ('Origin') going beyond my idea of what an adblocker does, made me more active in reporting my preference.-tomos (August 28, 2015, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Add me to this list, Origin just became too intrusive so I switched back to uBlock (non-Origin).

FWIW I'm currently using PaleMoon and 'Adblock Latitude' - I am still waiting for the ideal browser/adblocking extension ;-)
--- End quote ---

I'm using PM with uBlock (0.9.5.0) since they provided support for the pre-Australis interface I thought I may as well try it out - was using Adblock Latitude for a while.

Innuendo:
I guess I'm just glad that Adguard seemed to perform respectably, even if it wasn't a top performer. I've been happy with it.
--- End quote ---

Adguard wasn't always first place, but it was always at least second. This was a test of the browser extension, though, and I've never used that. I've always used the paid stand-alone application.

The testing was...interesting. I feel they should have added https sites to their test as well as tested for if the ad blocker broke any web pages. This test seemed to be all about volume of ads blocked & memory consumption. That's part of the equation, sure, but other things should have been considered in the product ranking.

wraith808:
I find the whole uBlock/uBlock Origin thing to be an unfortunate and confusing mess.
--- End quote ---
agreed -
the fact of it ('Origin') going beyond my idea of what an adblocker does, made me more active in reporting my preference.-tomos (August 28, 2015, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Add me to this list, Origin just became too intrusive so I switched back to uBlock (non-Origin).

FWIW I'm currently using PaleMoon and 'Adblock Latitude' - I am still waiting for the ideal browser/adblocking extension ;-)
--- End quote ---

I'm using PM with uBlock (0.9.5.0) since they provided support for the pre-Australis interface I thought I may as well try it out - was using Adblock Latitude for a while.
-4wd (August 28, 2015, 10:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's also funny that they tested Ghostery, but not Disconnect.  I saw their reasoning, and found it... lacking.  I'm using Disconnect and uBlock and those two together seem to be covering it.  Disconnect blocks most of them first, and uBlock gets whatever slips through.

Innuendo:
It's also funny that they tested Ghostery, but not Disconnect.  I saw their reasoning, and found it... lacking.  I'm using Disconnect and uBlock and those two together seem to be covering it.  Disconnect blocks most of them first, and uBlock gets whatever slips through.-wraith808 (August 29, 2015, 12:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Usually I like Raymond.cc, but this article looks like they started with a conclusion they wanted to promote & built the article and testing methodology around it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version