ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Raymond.cc roundup of ad blocking extensions

<< < (3/5) > >>

f0dder:
^ FWIW I prefer the uBlock variation - the "origin" version started blocking whole webpages which I felt wasn't it's job:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=41317.msg385536#msg385536-tomos (August 28, 2015, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't mind that too much - I've only seen it blocking sourceforge, and that's kinda warranted given how dicky SF have been...

And I really don't want to use the non-Origin version, considering what a bastard the dude behind that is...

tomos:
^ FWIW I prefer the uBlock variation - the "origin" version started blocking whole webpages which I felt wasn't it's job:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=41317.msg385536#msg385536-tomos (August 28, 2015, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't mind that too much - I've only seen it blocking sourceforge, and that's kinda warranted given how dicky SF have been...-f0dder (September 16, 2015, 01:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

uBlock Origin now works on PaleMoon, so I have dumped Adblock Latitude (which was blocking stuff it shouldnt have been).
Using the other version on Firefox which I also use most days.

I did notice it saying this:
Important: uBlock Origin is NOT an "ad blocker": it is a wide-spectrum blocker -- which happens to be able to function as a mere "ad blocker". The default behavior of uBlock Origin when newly installed is to block ads, trackers and malware sites -- through EasyList, EasyPrivacy, Peter Lowe’s ad/tracking/malware servers, various lists of malware sites, and uBlock Origin's own filter lists.
--- End quote ---
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/
which gave me a better understanding for how it works.

Re the feud or whatever went on, at the time I did look into it a bit, and it seemed to be more about messy misunderstandings and all that can bring, rather than any kind of nastiness - so I didnt feel I *should* support one or the other.

f0dder:
Re the feud or whatever went on, at the time I did look into it a bit, and it seemed to be more about messy misunderstandings and all that can bring, rather than any kind of nastiness - so I didnt feel I *should* support one or the other.-tomos (September 16, 2015, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not only removing references to the original author, but phrasing the text as if you're the original author, and putting up big donate buttons... that's a bit more than just "misunderstandings", it's dicky.

tomos:
^ yeah, fair enough.
I got the impression he regretted afterwards - but maybe that was just trying to make good after the backlash.

f0dder:
^ yeah, fair enough.
I got the impression he regretted afterwards - but maybe that was just trying to make good after the backlash.
-tomos (September 16, 2015, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
He might have, I didn't look back after reverting to Origin :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version