ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Windows 10 a trojan?

<< < (10/12) > >>

dr_andus:
You can block windows 10 and the tray prompts by applying this reg file
-Carol Haynes (January 14, 2016, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you Carol, but how do you do the "applying"? Sorry, I'm not versed in this at all.

dr_andus:
It does NOT disable the GWX nagware. To disable the tray icon, you need to apply the registry patch, but note that doing so only hides the icon, it does not remove the nagware itself.
-xtabber (January 14, 2016, 01:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. That's annoying though.

To add insult to injury, quite often when I boot my Win7 laptop or wake it from sleep or connect a dongle for wireless internet, I'm greeted with the following message:

Is Windows 10 a trojan?

So the way MS is trying to convince me to upgrade to an OS that's supposed to be better is with an error message? This is what the nagware boils down to me, other than the useless icon in the system tray. Does not really inspire confidence in me about Win10.

P.S. And it's quite ironic that the error message is asking me to check for a solution online, to try to fix the nagware for me, so it can nag me better...

tomos:
I also disable OS upgrades (not Windows Update).
-Carol Haynes (January 14, 2016, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
hi Carol,
anyone know how ^this^ is done?

On this machine I only see 'Windows Update' (no relevant settings), and 'Windows anytime Upgrade' (which has no settings at all).
Note: on this and on my other Windows 7 machine I'm not getting any update to windows 10 messages, (possibly because I mostly only ever install security updates).

Stoic Joker:
Today, after weeks of telling Windows to f*** off because I don't want to reboot for updates, it finally told me to go f*** myself and rebooted in the middle of me doing shit.

Windows 10 is <insert the most vile, inhuman, violent, sick, twisted, evil stuff you can possibly imagine here />.

I just have no words for how horrible this entire lunacy is. (I do have the words, but I'll spare you.)
-Renegade (January 14, 2016, 10:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Group Policy: No Auto Reboot For Logged On Users is your friend.

Gpedit.msc:
Computer Configuration
. Administrative Template
... Windows Components
..... Windows Update

^Do on local machine even in a domain environment (werked 4 me!).

For the Home Version there is a registry based equivalent (I haven't tried):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carol Haynes:
You can block windows 10 and the tray prompts by applying this reg file
-Carol Haynes (January 14, 2016, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you Carol, but how do you do the "applying"? Sorry, I'm not versed in this at all.
-dr_andus (January 15, 2016, 04:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Download the file - change the extension from .txt to .reg (couldn't upload a reg file) and then double click the file - allow it to make changes and then then restart you computer.

I also disable OS upgrades (not Windows Update).
-Carol Haynes (January 14, 2016, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
hi Carol,
anyone know how ^this^ is done?

On this machine I only see 'Windows Update' (no relevant settings), and 'Windows anytime Upgrade' (which has no settings at all).
Note: on this and on my other Windows 7 machine I'm not getting any update to windows 10 messages, (possibly because I mostly only ever install security updates).

-tomos (January 15, 2016, 05:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

It is a registry setting - see the reg file I uploaded up the page

This registry file stops the nagware and the tray icon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version