ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Windows 10 a trojan?

<< < (9/12) > >>

dr_andus:
That said, this option for disabling GWX has nothing to do with the registry, and other than the fact it doesn't say how to get to the Group Policy configuration window, it seems fairly simple to follow:

Computer Configuration
-https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351
--- End quote ---
-Deozaan (January 14, 2016, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Deozaan,

Many thanks for spelling that out  :up:

I did follow the instructions, let's see if I'll ever see GWX again. For now the icon is still sitting in my system tray, so I presume I'll have to reboot to get rid of that.

Carol Haynes:
You can block windows 10 and the tray prompts by applying this reg file

xtabber:
If you read Microsoft KB 3080351 carefully, you will see that the Group Policy Object allows you to turn off automatic updates to the operating system.  It does NOT disable the GWX nagware. To disable the tray icon, you need to apply the registry patch, but note that doing so only hides the icon, it does not remove the nagware itself.

Note also that the language used in the KB specifically says that the GP Object will ensure that the OS is never changed by Windows Update without the user's approval. It does NOT make any such promise with regard to GWX notifications.

As pointed out in the articles I linked to yesterday, Microsoft has been using Windows Update to install a service that periodically checks the registry to see whether the notification is disabled and can re-enable it by modifying the registry.

Carol Haynes:
The registry file I posted above has worked for me. Apply the registry edit, restart and gone. I also disable OS upgrades (not Windows Update).

Renegade:
Today, after weeks of telling Windows to f*** off because I don't want to reboot for updates, it finally told me to go f*** myself and rebooted in the middle of me doing shit.

Windows 10 is <insert the most vile, inhuman, violent, sick, twisted, evil stuff you can possibly imagine here />.

I just have no words for how horrible this entire lunacy is. (I do have the words, but I'll spare you.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version