ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Windows 10 a trojan?

<< < (5/12) > >>

x16wda:
Most people have no reason to actively turn the sharing on. And so - almost no-one will.
-Hdxpx (September 16, 2015, 02:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

This.

And... how many PCs on the Internet will just allow other PCs on the Internet to connect up and download patch parts? Wouldn't most Win 10 boxes be forewalled, at least on the box itself? I don't have a problem getting a piece of something - that is checksummed and verified - from some pc out there that happens to have a copy, but I need to look at the mechanics of how you determine where. Maybe this is why MS sets up your wifi to connect to everything it possibly can automatically, so you can join their content distribution network!

f0dder:
So WUDO helps Microsoft save bandwidth, but it has little or no benefit for users if they leave the "PCs on the Internet" option checked.  If WUDO limited to PCs on an internal network works as it should (you'd have to trust Microsoft on that one), it could be helpful, but remember that it bypasses any internal controls or checks.-xtabber (August 17, 2015, 06:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
It can be an advantage if you're in a region that has slow routes to the Microsoft content servers. And there might be ISPs that remove throttling on traffic between it's own customers, even though they're not technically on a LAN...

Deozaan:
I don't have a problem getting a piece of something - that is checksummed and verified - from some pc out there that happens to have a copy, but I need to look at the mechanics of how you determine where. Maybe this is why MS sets up your wifi to connect to everything it possibly can automatically, so you can join their content distribution network!
-x16wda (September 16, 2015, 06:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

The problem with this is that many ISPs implement data caps. I don't want my PC uploading GBs of data to strangers and using up my data cap. Then being forced by my ISP to pay fines, "upgrade" to a higher package, or lose internet service altogether "due to abuse" of their services.

Renegade:
The problem with this is that many ISPs implement data caps. I don't want my PC uploading GBs of data to strangers and using up my data cap. Then being forced by my ISP to pay fines, "upgrade" to a higher package, or lose internet service altogether "due to abuse" of their services.
-Deozaan (September 17, 2015, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't do "caps" (but throttling is ok). When we moved to Canada, the ISPs are mostly horrible, but I found a less horrible one and got an unlimited plan. The overage fees here are utterly insane and completely unaffordable.

I think back to where I used to live, and they have gigabit Internet for pennies... sigh...

Deozaan:
-Deozaan (September 17, 2015, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't do "caps" (but throttling is ok). When we moved to Canada, the ISPs are mostly horrible, but I found a less horrible one and got an unlimited plan. The overage fees here are utterly insane and completely unaffordable.
-Renegade (September 17, 2015, 10:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not always possible to get a plan without a data cap. :( And even when it's an option, it's not always an affordable option.

Honestly, I could do with a much lower "top speed" if it came with a much larger (or unlimited) data cap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version