ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Windows 10 a trojan?

<< < (4/12) > >>

xtabber:
A P2P protocol like BitTorrent saves bandwidth on servers distributing to many clients. It does not save anything on clients.  Think about it: each client is still receiving the same amount of data - more, actually, because of the additional overhead involved in P2P.

So WUDO helps Microsoft save bandwidth, but it has little or no benefit for users if they leave the "PCs on the Internet" option checked.  If WUDO limited to PCs on an internal network works as it should (you'd have to trust Microsoft on that one), it could be helpful, but remember that it bypasses any internal controls or checks.

P2P is inherently not very secure, even if the proprietary BitTorrent protocol has no known vulnerabilities . I don't know of any security conscious organization that allows BitTorrent or similar P2P systems to distribute internally anything that comes from outside sources directly.

The proper way to redistribute software internally - and the way any responsible administrator does it - is to download a redistributable to one system, check it, and then redistribute it.  Microsoft provides this capability for nearly everything you can get from their site. Just look for the IT and tech support versions.

Stoic Joker:
It helps the clients by letting them quickly share the segments amongst themselves on the faster LAN, instead of forcing everyone to DL a fresh copy through the small - and frequently heavily filtered - corporate pipe.

The proper way to redistribute software internally - and the way any responsible administrator does it - is to download a redistributable to one system, check it, and then redistribute it.  Microsoft provides this capability for nearly everything you can get from their site. Just look for the IT and tech support versions.-xtabber (August 17, 2015, 06:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was then ... BYOD is now. Hay, I'm not a fan in the slightest, I'm just rolling with the trendy new nightmare that's been dropped in the laps of SysAdmins everywhere..

wraith808:
The proper way to redistribute software internally - and the way any responsible administrator does it - is to download a redistributable to one system, check it, and then redistribute it.  Microsoft provides this capability for nearly everything you can get from their site. Just look for the IT and tech support versions.
-xtabber (August 17, 2015, 06:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are enough PCs in my home, that its like a medium sized business.  But I'm not looking for IT overhead, even though I know how to do do such things, it's a headache.  So the more its built into existing infrastructure, the better it is for me.

Deozaan:
IMO the default should be "share with my network" and opt-in to "share with the entire internet."

Hdxpx:
As late as I am...
Microsoft aren`t stupid. Most people have no reason to actively turn the sharing on. And so - almost no-one will. A feature they spent money and time making will go to the trash.
Some others (the less... adventurous) don`t even go to windows settings and need such options to be turned on by default *cough* grandma *cough*. A wizard at first startup might be an alternate solution but that would likely just confuse those people.

Also, watch this (I originally found this video here on DC a while back. Courtesy of Mouser, I believe): http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_ariely_asks_are_we_in_control_of_our_own_decisions?language=en

The moment Microsoft set this option as the default, they assured it will be 90%~ active. People are like that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version