ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Windows 10 a trojan?

<< < (3/12) > >>

app103:
Those of you that have a lot of computers that will require updating and don't want to end up capped or throttled by your ISP while updating them all, should be thrilled that there is a way to configure Windows to get the updates from computers on your local network that have already received the updates, thereby saving you all that bandwidth.

How can this be theft of bandwidth when you have this great new option that you never had before, that can actually save you bandwidth?

Or would you like to go back to the old way and get throttled by your ISP for excessive bandwidth usage, for updating all those PCs?

JavaJones:
I'd love an option to specify between "share downloaded update data between computers on my local network" and "share downloaded update data with the entire goddamn Internet". But I agree the option could/should have been in the installer, maybe even a time-based auto-selection (i.e. it defaults to "yes", but pops up on screen as a question for 30 seconds to a minute while other stuff is being done in the background, and if no answer is given it becomes yes, but you *can* choose no if you care to). With a time-based option they could avoid the problem of added complexity in choice in the installer to some degree.

Btw in this thread I'm really wishing for a "like" option for posts. :D

- Oshyan

wraith808:
I'd love an option to specify between "share downloaded update data between computers on my local network" and "share downloaded update data with the entire goddamn Internet". But I agree the option could/should have been in the installer, maybe even a time-based auto-selection (i.e. it defaults to "yes", but pops up on screen as a question for 30 seconds to a minute while other stuff is being done in the background, and if no answer is given it becomes yes, but you *can* choose no if you care to). With a time-based option they could avoid the problem of added complexity in choice in the installer to some degree.

Btw in this thread I'm really wishing for a "like" option for posts. :D

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (August 16, 2015, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

That option does exist.

4wd:
How can this be theft of bandwidth when you have this great new option that you never had before, that can actually save you bandwidth?-app103 (August 16, 2015, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

The majority of people would not even know that the option exists and since it defaults to sending/receiving across the internet it's no different from your neighbour using your internet bandwidth and not telling you about it - that's classed as theft.

It would be different if they had come right out at the start, stuck an option on the screen during installation, explained what it does and said you could apply it to PCs just on your LAN, or if they had made it default to just your LAN.

But they didn't.

As Innuendo said, this is an issue of transparency.

JavaJones:
Oh, well there you go! I'm not yet on Win 10, so I'm not certain of the possibilities yet.

So yeah, for me that option being there is enough. Though again I think this should be one of the few option prompts during install (and defaulting to yes is OK IMO *if* people don't respond). Better yet, as 4wd said, default to "PCs on my LAN", although I get the benefit for MS in doing it across the Internet and how the feature is a lot less useful for them with LAN-only. I *do* feel it's reasonable to balance the needs of the company and the users, to some degree. The current approach is certainly imbalanced though.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version