ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Windows 10 a trojan?

<< < (2/12) > >>

mwb1100:
That may be true, but Delivery Optimization probably should be opt-in (like torrents are). For a corporate network, some sort of group policy should allow it to be easily configured.

Actually, most of the things Auerbach discussed should have been opt-in.

I haven't paid much attention to the Windows 10 release - is there anything compelling in Win 10 that might make me want to move off of Win7?

wraith808:
That may be true, but Delivery Optimization probably should be opt-in (like torrents are). For a corporate network, some sort of group policy should allow it to be easily configured.

Actually, most of the things Auerbach discussed should have been opt-in.

I haven't paid much attention to the Windows 10 release - is there anything compelling in Win 10 that might make me want to move off of Win7?
-mwb1100 (August 16, 2015, 12:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

World of Warcraft is... using Bittorrent.  And it's not opt in.  Facebook and Twitter use bittorrent... and it's not opt-in.  There are a whole lot of other uses for bittorrent and p2p that are not opt-in that are in use all over.  And they're so not opt in, that there is no indication that it is being utilized.

Ironically, these same people also think torrents are the cats meow..

Personally I think it's a brilliant idea, because it allows updates to be downloaded from the fastest source possible...instead of forcing everyone to try ripping it fresh through the same tiny hole.
-Stoic Joker (August 15, 2015, 10:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly.  Is it the use?  Or is it who is using it?  It seems to be who is using it that is the largest objection.

Stoic Joker:
That may be true, but Delivery Optimization probably should be opt-in (like torrents are). For a corporate network, some sort of group policy should allow it to be easily configured.-mwb1100 (August 16, 2015, 12:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

BITS wasn't opt-in, and it was an earlier attempt at (trickling the transfer) the same objective. DO is simply a more advanced attempt at the target objective of getting updates to people without tying up the available bandwidth on the lower speed internet connection. With torrents you control what you download...however you have zero control of where it comes from.. :D ...As each piece of the sum total transfer is acquired in a least effort opportunistic fashion -(e.g. fastest option wins)- from all sources found to be available.

Are their real privacy concerns with Windows 10, Hell Yes. But DO isn't one of them, it's just getting guilted by association because it's new.

x16wda:
it's just getting guilted by association because it's new.
-Stoic Joker (August 16, 2015, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

New name, anyway. This is Branchcache which has been around since 2009. Anyone who has had to deal with plants shutting down because their piddly T1 circuits have been preempted by Windows updates appreciates the concept.

Innuendo:
I agree with Stoic Joker that Delivery Optimization is an awesome tool to have available & while on the surface it seems weird that these same people don't have issue with torrents, but do with Delivery Optimization, the key difference is consent. When a person runs torrenting software they are making a conscious decision to do so. Delivery Optimization, on the other hand, is on and running with no notice given to the user.

I think if MS would have just put a radio checkbox in the installer that said "Turn this on if you'd like to speed up your Windows updates by downloading from alternate sources and PCs connected to the internet. Otherwise Windows will only download updates from Microsoft which will result in potentially slower updates." then everyone would be fine with it. This doesn't strike me as being a technology or capability issue. It's an issue of transparency.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version