ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Windows 10 a trojan?

(1/12) > >>

xtabber:
I’ve been highly critical of the many ways Windows 10 compromises users’ privacy,  but this article by Steven Auerbach in Slate is an eye opener as to just how awful the situation really is.

It is bad enough that Microsoft sees fit to capture every bit of data about you that it can. It is something else for them to turn your computer into a node in a peer-to-peer system for distributing Microsoft products.  But that is exactly what they are doing with Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO), if you do not find and turn off the obscure option to get updates from and send updates to other PCs.

At the very least, this is theft of bandwidth. But it also appears that by default, Windows 10 effectively turns users' computers into nodes in a Microsoft botnet.

Curt:
^thanks!

How do I turn Delivery Optimization off?

Here’s how:

1    Go to Start Start button icon, then Settings > Update & security > Windows Update , and then select Advanced options.

2    On the Advanced options page, select Choose how updates are delivered, and then use the toggle to turn Delivery Optimization off. When turned off, you'll still get updates and apps from Windows Update and from the Windows Store.

If you’d just like to stop downloading updates and apps from PCs on the Internet, select PCs on my local network.

--- End quote ---

40hz:
Two words: Linux Mint. (Sorry. I couldn't resist.) ;)

wraith808:
That topic title is a bit ... hyperbolic.

Stoic Joker:
Most of the people freaking out about Delivery Optimization have apparently never had to deal with hundreds of devices trying to download updates at the same time on a corporate network. Especially when you compound that by/with the increasing popularity of - zero control possible - BYOD.

Ironically, these same people also think torrents are the cats meow..

Personally I think it's a brilliant idea, because it allows updates to be downloaded from the fastest source possible...instead of forcing everyone to try ripping it fresh through the same tiny hole.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version