ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Automatic Update Reboots

(1/2) > >>

Stoic Joker:
There seems to be much discussion about the new and delightfully Draconian Windows update automatic reboot policy. Most of the solutions I've seen are of the comically idiotic variety...(like just disable the WU service)...that MS really should have seen coming before they dropped this turn in our laps. Others come closer to showing a bit of common sense & restraint, like method 2 in the article I found here.

However for my own purposes I decided to modify it just a bit by setting: No auto-restart with logged on user for scheduled automatic updater installations to enabled. This option is in the same place as the one suggested in the article, I just think it affords a better balance between getting the updates in a timely fashion...and don't dump all my shit. :D

MilesAhead:
I noticed the W10 articles on Addictive Tips.

http://www.addictivetips.com/

I hope they make Windows Update usable otherwise it may kill Windows doornail dead.  I'll have to figure out something to do with my time if I am not tweaking Windows.  Then again there's always Linux to turn to.  :)

Deozaan:
I don't get it. What's so hard about changing the setting to "Notify to schedule restart"?

With that setting, it will never automatically reboot without your explicit permission, either by scheduling a time to restart, or by clicking "restart now."

MilesAhead:
I don't get it. What's so hard about changing the setting to "Notify to schedule restart"?

With that setting, it will never automatically reboot without your explicit permission, either by scheduling a time to restart, or by clicking "restart now."
 (see attachment in previous post)
-Deozaan (August 12, 2015, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is this accomplished by Group Policy?  I am wondering because Windows Installer trumps the user since it runs as System.  I had IE forbidden to run using Group Policy.  All seemed well until some clown explicitly invoked IE during a Windows Installer install.  Up it came.

Deozaan:

(see attachment in previous post)
-Deozaan (August 12, 2015, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is this accomplished by Group Policy?-MilesAhead (August 12, 2015, 04:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think so. I just go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Advanced Options to get to the screen shown above. I cropped out some of the other options available on that window, so it won't look exactly like the screenshot above, but it should be close enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version