ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

desktop search guide page

<< < (4/5) > >>

jdd:
Carol,  I have the paid X1 Desktop versino and have been holding out waiting for comments on this new "free" Enterprise before I switch over.  Can you explain what you meanby these "value added" features that are pissing you off?  This doesn't happen in the old paid version.  Is the Yahoo deselection ineffective?

Carol Haynes:
No - a number of companies (X1, Nero and quite a few others now) include things like Yahoo Explorer Toolbar as an integrated part of their downloads. When you run the installer it asks do you want to install Yahoo Toolbar too and you can say no - but the thing that pisses me off is the number of time I download Yahoo Toolbar with other products - it is a waste of time and bandwidth, plus not all installers make it obvious that they have YT included so you have to go through custom install to ensure you don't install YT by accident.

YT is really annoying because it is now beginning to appear in other guises (ie. same thing but rebranded) so you end up installing it without know it is going to be there!

jdd:
Carol,  Not sure i follow.......Is this an issue with X1 or the fact that YT is hidden in other things.  Would it have been the same without installing X1?

Carol Haynes:
It's not an issue with X1, except that the installer includes the Yahoo stuff which I idn't want to install. It clearly gives the option to avoid installing it so it isn't a problem.

Darwin:
Part of the large download size for X1 is the set of Stellent filters that are included with it. These allow you to view the contents and formatting of files without opening their associated apps (or even having those apps installed). On my installation, the filters folder occupies 17.7 MB while the Yahoo Toolbar (which I chose NOT to install) folder occupies 1.09 MB.

I agree with Carol, though, that it is really annoying having to use Custom install to avoid having your homepage set to Yahoo, Yahoo set as your default search engine and to avoid having the Toolbar installed. I NEVER use the default installer for any software anymore because 9 times out of 10 they will try to do this with either Yahoo or Google...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version