ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10: Migration-woes thread

<< < (2/3) > >>

JavaJones:
let me suggest that this advice:
So, long story short: When upgrading a similar RST equipped PC, make images of your entire harddrive before attempting the in-place upgrade!
--- End quote ---

be turned into:
When upgrading a pc, make images of your entire hard drive first.
-mouser (August 08, 2015, 07:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

I second this! Always make a backup. :D

- Oshyan

Tuxman:
Repaired Windows 10 by disabling the WiFi during the boot process ...  :huh:

Ath:
Well, I didn't have a failed migration, but I had an 'interesting' one. I detailed everything in a dedicated thread. I tried to be as detailed as possible with the problems I encountered & listed solutions just in case someone else runs into the problems I did.
-Innuendo (August 08, 2015, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, I saw your post but I interpreted it like the title, a clean install and your adventures with that. On closer investigation it in fact a 'minor fail' upgrade. Interesting, like you said.

x16wda:
I'm holding off a bit before hitting my main desktop PC since it's my workhorse (middle of the road though it is), but I went through the process with my laptop (which is actually newer and nicer) since it also has everything on it that I use and I can give it a good test. I had to start the process several times, ended up uninstalling antivirus (and some cruft that I should have cleaned out ages ago anyway), but what really seemed to help was switch from the 32 + 64 bit dvd over to the 64-bit only dvd.

Only real pain in the neck so far is that the Cisco IPSEC client is broken (of course) and the mitigations don't seem to work, in fact Win flat out refuses to let the program install. Rather than beat on that horse I switch to Shrewsoft which has worked fine.

Oh, and Photoshop CS3 says it isn't registered again (and how I hate trying to get stupid Adobe to do anything). Should have unregistered it before I started. <grumble grumble>

All in all not too bad, if nothing else comes up I will be set to upgrade my wife's pc...  :P

Innuendo:
x16wda, having to deal with both Adobe *and* Cisco during an OS upgrade? You win! :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version