ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10: Migration-woes thread

(1/3) > >>

Ath:
Hi,

Besides all the praise and glory on Windows 10 migration(s) it might be right helpful to also list any failed or miserable migrations from a previous version.

Ath:
Upgrading Windows 7 x64 SP1 to Windows 10 on a system equipped with Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) failed with data-loss!

I've tried to upgrade my Lenovo Y580 with a 1 TB HDD and a 64 GB SSD (the SSD is hidden by the RST technology as a high-speed MRU-buffer for the HDD).
All seemed to go fine, until the upgrade process executed a reboot, and it couldn't find the boot-partition it had just upgraded.

All attempts to repair the partitions, reverting the installation or even using a Windows 7 SP1 boot-USB for recovery, didn't result in the partitions to be restored (at all) and rendered the laptop 'useless'.

Solution I applied was: Buy a Samsung 500 GB SSD (850 EVO), remove the 64 GB SSD (in an M.2 slot next to the SATA-connected HDD/SSD), re-installed Windows 7 x64 SP1 with all Lenovo drivers (they are on a separate, unharmed, partition of the HDD), and then upgrade to Windows 10.
Now I'm re-installing most generic applications I had previously installed, like browser, pdf-viewer etc.

Yes I'm working on recovering files from the damaged partition, but there where no really important files on it, all important stuff was backed up in the cloud, on USB sticks or on other PC's. It's a pity I don't have my browser history anymore, but that'll rebuild in the coming weeks/months ;)

So, long story short: When upgrading a similar RST equipped PC, make images of your entire harddrive before attempting the in-place upgrade!

mouser:
let me suggest that this advice:
So, long story short: When upgrading a similar RST equipped PC, make images of your entire harddrive before attempting the in-place upgrade!
--- End quote ---

be turned into:
When upgrading a pc, make images of your entire hard drive first.

Tuxman:
Upgrade (8.1).
Boot.
Frozen logon screen.
Reboot.
Frozen logon screen.

Oh, Microsoft.

Innuendo:
Well, I didn't have a failed migration, but I had an 'interesting' one. I detailed everything in a dedicated thread. I tried to be as detailed as possible with the problems I encountered & listed solutions just in case someone else runs into the problems I did.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version