ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I need help coming up with a plan to fix my NTFS security permissions problems

(1/7) > >>

superboyac:
If anyone wants to help me out with this, I'd appreciate it greatly.  Here's the background:

After a long time planning, I finally set up my custom storage server.  It's a box with several drives running a windows 2012 server.  After doing some tests and research, i settled on using the FLexraid Traid product, which is a drive pooling software raid system.  I initially tried the new windows storage spaces, but didn't like the speed and features.  Traid sold me on the fact that you can pull a drive out and the files and everything are intact without much fussing around at all.

OK, here's the problem.  I set up my first active directory domain services.  Then, unfortunately, I accidentally removed ALL the NTFS permissions from my main almost root folder.  This was bad and now I've lost access (access denied) on a lot of the folders on the storage array.  I've tried everything to reset the NTFS security and all that.  I tried all the tools out there.

Unfortunately, the developer of the software raid explicitly has said he will NOT spend a second helping people with NTFS security problems.  So I'm stuck on advice.  I've scoured the web and tried everything.

Some interesting facts:
--If I stop the storage array and just connect the drives individually, I can access all the files and folders.  I can also successfully modify the NTFS permissions with those tools mentioned.  When the array is active, however, I cannot access all the folders (access denied).  So that's why I'm confused.  The great thing about flexraid, the reason i got it, is because you can access the files in this manner.

My ideas:
--my first idea is to uninstall/reinstall active directory on the server.  or even reinstall the entire OS.  I have no idea if that will work, I guess I'm assuming if all the active directory details are reinstalled, maybe the files will think it's a new server and can start over?  i don't know.

--My other idea is to copy the contents of the drives to a temporary external drive, then copy them back over or something.  The problem with this is that I'm not sure i can delete the problem directories.  i don't want these broken directories forever on the server.

So I'll take any advice.  I don't think the files are damaged or anything.  Just the NTFS security.

40hz:
Did you try taking ownership of the folder using your admin account? Go to <Properties><Security tab> <Advanced button><Ownership Change link> to do that. You should be able to do anything you want with the root and subfolders afterwards.

Shades:
It might even be necessary to adjust the Windows policy of 'taking ownership of files and other objects'. There you can add your user to the (on purpose) very small list of users allowed to do this at all. If memory serves me right, only the user 'Administrator' and user group 'Administrators' are allowed to take ownership in a default Windows Server 2012 installation. 

x16wda:
By all the tools did you include SetACL Studio? I would try installing it (30 day trial), take ownership at the root level and propagate it down all the way, then try giving everyone full at the root level and propagate down.

In any event the software ought to be able to delete folders for you later if you need to.

TaoPhoenix:
Unfortunately, the developer of the software raid explicitly has said he will NOT spend a second helping people with NTFS security problems.  So I'm stuck on advice.  I've scoured the web and tried everything.
-superboyac (August 06, 2015, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is a pity, because back in my old fashioned business school, this was what they were talking about with "value added". Even if he's busy himself, he just has to get someone else (part time?) who knows this stuff, and then it's "value kept in house".

But a lot of Open Source and apparently other small devs take a narrow view of what they want to work on, so if SuperboyAC's of the world rip out a drive wrong, too bad!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version